Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

Whole house fan electrical install

I have installed a whole house fan, but wish to confirm proper electrical hook-up: The motor is a 1/3 hp, 6 amp 115V. Can I connect this to an existing 14 gauge attic light on a 15 amp breaker with a switch both within 8 ft of the motor?

shalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Remodeler

If that light is the only other thing on that circuit, then yes, the circuit has enough capacity to add your fan.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Household Handyman

shalmi- -one thing you may want to look at is how close the light fixture is to the fan and can vibrations from the fan travel to the light fixture easily. The reason I'm saying this is that I installed a whole house fan some years ago in my home and loved it at certain times of the year. BUT-I found that the light bulb in the fixture in the attic kept going out more often than ever before. I was told about this possible vibration problem, although my fan ran smooth to me. I isolated the light fixture with some type of rubber mounts back then, and changed the bulb to "rough service". After that the bulb lasted a long time. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalmi View Post
I have installed a whole house fan, but wish to confirm proper electrical hook-up: The motor is a 1/3 hp, 6 amp 115V. Can I connect this to an existing 14 gauge attic light on a 15 amp breaker with a switch both within 8 ft of the motor?
Sure you can. If the circuit cannot hold the current the breaker will trip and then you will have to run a new circuit to the fan or find another circuit that will accept the new load (fan).
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote