DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Whole house fan electrical install

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  J. V. 
#1 ·
I have installed a whole house fan, but wish to confirm proper electrical hook-up: The motor is a 1/3 hp, 6 amp 115V. Can I connect this to an existing 14 gauge attic light on a 15 amp breaker with a switch both within 8 ft of the motor?

#3 ·
shalmi- -one thing you may want to look at is how close the light fixture is to the fan and can vibrations from the fan travel to the light fixture easily. The reason I'm saying this is that I installed a whole house fan some years ago in my home and loved it at certain times of the year. BUT-I found that the light bulb in the fixture in the attic kept going out more often than ever before. I was told about this possible vibration problem, although my fan ran smooth to me. I isolated the light fixture with some type of rubber mounts back then, and changed the bulb to "rough service". After that the bulb lasted a long time. Good Luck, David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.