Who Foots The Bill? - Electrical - Page 8 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #106
Electrical Contractor
 
rrolleston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,941
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Whats the HO got to do with that? Why should he shell out more $ to get the job completed.

It's between the EC and POCO to get the juice on.
If I was the sparky I would try to get the POCO to maybe place the conductor higher up on the pole or increase the mast height and use the wire and conduit on another job. Customer being happy is my highest priority but it all depends. But if the customers calls me up being nasty I will tell them politely that I met all the requirements required I am trying to be nice here and if they continue being nasty. I will politely say I have all the proof picture that I met the requirements of the POCO and the AHJ I think you should find someone else to finish this job at your expense have a nice day.

This has came up on a couple situations for me when I was willing to work it out at no cost or once very little cost to the homeowner and me having proof that everything was done correctly and was approved with pictures. Customer gets nasty and decides to get someone else. It's all on them after that. I do the best I can to meet requirements if they state in their book that it can be 24" approve it and then say it should have been 36" after it was approved is crazy.

Yes the Sparky should have had the mast a little higher. But I don't know how this job was bid did the homeowner get him to accept a really low price did he just do it cheap who knows but I think blame falls on both the sparky and poco. If he is willing to make it right let him.

If you find another sparky he will probably charge really high due to we all hate finishing another persons work and will not use anything the other guy used on the new install.

If you say his install failed I will remove all his stuff and install all new except ground rods I will just pound a couple new rods next to his at your expense. My name is going on the install everything has to be done by me with material I buy.

Advertisement

__________________
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #107
Electrical Contractor
 
rrolleston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,941
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800 View Post
And if it was a lineman who decide that his own inspector was FOS, then THAT is the POCOs problem.
I agree 100% with that statement. There was no way this project made it as far as having the line men out to connect without the sparky following proper procedures if he did not follow all the steps they would have never came out to try and connect the power.

If you approve my install then send someone out that says it won't work I would still agree to make it right within reason.
__________________
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rrolleston For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #108
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,259
Rewards Points: 1,046
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
If I was the sparky I would try to get the POCO to maybe place the conductor higher up on the pole or increase the mast height and use the wire and conduit on another job. Customer being happy is my highest priority but it all depends. But if the customers calls me up being nasty I will tell them politely that I met all the requirements required I am trying to be nice here and if they continue being nasty. I will politely say I have all the proof picture that I met the requirements of the POCO and the AHJ I think you should find someone else to finish this job at your expense have a nice day.

This has came up on a couple situations for me when I was willing to work it out at no cost or once very little cost to the homeowner and me having proof that everything was done correctly and was approved with pictures. Customer gets nasty and decides to get someone else. It's all on them after that. I do the best I can to meet requirements if they state in their book that it can be 24" approve it and then say it should have been 36" after it was approved is crazy.

Yes the Sparky should have had the mast a little higher. But I don't know how this job was bid did the homeowner get him to accept a really low price did he just do it cheap who knows but I think blame falls on both the sparky and poco. If he is willing to make it right let him.

If you find another sparky he will probably charge really high due to we all hate finishing another persons work and will not use anything the other guy used on the new install.

If you say his install failed I will remove all his stuff and install all new except ground rods I will just pound a couple new rods next to his at your expense. My name is going on the install everything has to be done by me with material I buy.
Removed text
__________________
No Warranty Means- If it breaks in half you get to keep both halves.

Last edited by COLDIRON; 02-14-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Removed text,
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #109
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 122
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Who foots the bill?


Personally, I am in business to make money, however, I take great pride in doing a good job that I can tie my name and reputation to. I want to have references and happy customers. That is what makes me tick.
-If I screw something up or miscommunicate, that's on ME and a learning curve experience to never forget.
-If my customer screws up, provided they are cool about it and not doing that for sport, then I will work with them because I probably should have pulled more information from them in the beginning and gotten it in writing. A mmeeting of the minds in critical.
-I always try to work with people until they take a tude'. Then we have problems and it will not turn out well.
In all the years (35 civilian) I have very few custoemrs that I could not resolve myself and had to simply walk away and/or hang up on. Even then, I agonize over my inability to resolve the problem.

In reading the OP's posts, I dont read a pissed off HO, I read a frustrated HO who just wants what he paid for and didnt get. He sounded patient and understanding even tot he point of taking his licks unnecessarily to avoid confrontation.

I hope it gets resolved favorably without the HO having to take it up the bxtt in the end.
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 64pvolvo1800 For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (02-13-2013), jbfan (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #110
Electrical Contractor
 
rrolleston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,941
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800 View Post
Personally, I am in business to make money, however, I take great pride in doing a good job that I can tie my name and reputation to. I want to have references and happy customers. That is what makes me tick.
-If I screw something up or miscommunicate, that's on ME and a learning curve experience to never forget.
-If my customer screws up, provided they are cool about it and not doing that for sport, then I will work with them because I probably should have pulled more information from them in the beginning and gotten it in writing. A mmeeting of the minds in critical.
-I always try to work with people until they take a tude'. Then we have problems and it will not turn out well.
In all the years (35 civilian) I have very few custoemrs that I could not resolve myself and had to simply walk away and/or hang up on. Even then, I agonize over my inability to resolve the problem.

In reading the OP's posts, I dont read a pissed off HO, I read a frustrated HO who just wants what he paid for and didnt get. He sounded patient and understanding even tot he point of taking his licks unnecessarily to avoid confrontation.

I hope it gets resolved favorably without the HO having to take it up the bxtt in the end.
Same here only have had a couple jobs in about 15 years where the problem could not be resolved and still bothers me. First customer mentioned a couple small issue and it ended up being a knob and tube wiring and I was too new to take on such a project told them they should get someone else got his fridge working and couple lights and left. Second was the customer started messing with my work by adding a generator backfeed I told him it was illigal the way they he did it and he flipped out on me and told me to get off his property.
__________________
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #111
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 122
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Same here only have had a couple jobs in about 15 years where the problem could not be resolved and still bothers me. First customer mentioned a couple small issue and it ended up being a knob and tube wiring and I was too new to take on such a project told them they should get someone else got his fridge working and couple lights and left. Second was the customer started messing with my work by adding a generator backfeed I told him it was illigal the way they he did it and he flipped out on me and told me to get off his property.
Best thing was to get out and document it ASAP somehow. This has killed more linemen then one. When my techs run across this stuff I tell then to take pictures, scare the hell outta the customer, and then run unless they entertain a proper safe installation. Because when it burns or kills someone, everyone who ever even walked by the facility and nodded G'Day will get dragged into the lawsuit!
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #112
Electrical Contractor
 
rrolleston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,941
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston
Default

Who foots the bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800 View Post
Best thing was to get out and document it ASAP somehow. This has killed more linemen then one. When my techs run across this stuff I tell then to take pictures, scare the hell outta the customer, and then run unless they entertain a proper safe installation. Because when it burns or kills someone, everyone who ever even walked by the facility and nodded G'Day will get dragged into the lawsuit!
Told him how dangerous it was took pictures and sent them to the POCO and notified the local inspector. Last I knew he was still without power at his property. The other funny thing he has not tested this but he used a double pole GFCI breaker to do the backfeed. I hear it can toast the GFCI breaker backfeeding it.

Advertisement

__________________
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical error


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade Svc., Overhead; Bill vs. Estimate Question Rpsjr Electrical 6 04-22-2012 04:15 AM
Groundhog named Bill Murray Angela3511 Pest Control 5 04-18-2011 08:20 PM
Advice Requested on handy-man bill just received 2031pratt Off Topic 15 08-16-2010 04:01 PM
High electric Bill? HautingLu General DIY Discussions 9 08-28-2009 01:39 PM
Help! Electric bill too high, what can I do? pirategirl007 Electrical 24 01-19-2009 11:35 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts