Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

While I'm digging a trench to the garage...

Just had a thought, so I wanted to see if anyone could give me some brief guidelines on what would be involved with running network cable out to the garage while I have a trench where I'm running 100 amp service to the garage and where I'll have gas line put in by a plumber. The 100A electric will be in rigid metal conduit, if that provides any shielding.

Is this an electric code covered situation that I'd add on to my electric permit, and could I just use schedule 40 PVC conduit, or am I still going to have to use sched. 80 PVC or rigid/intermediate metal? If I can just use low cost materials available at HD/Lowes I might do this, if the latter maybe not.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

If I have this right you already have the trench dug for your sub panel in the garage and you want to add another pipe for network cable. You can add pvc conduit in the trench for the network cable. I ran three separate 1" pipes to my detached garage. One for the service and the other two were for future low voltage, cable, alarm, etc. If I had to do it again I would make the pipes 1 1/4" instead of 1" to make the pull easier.

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

Couple of quick thoughts. Keep in mind I am NOT an electrician, but here is what I've been told:

- Depending on your local code, you should be able to run your 100Amp feeder in schedule 40. Use schedule 80 if traveling under the driveway.

- I'm not sure about the gas line, but my local inspector has no problem with feeder and accessory conduit being in the same trench. The only requirement was that the electrical be at specified depth, and accessory above it. Again here, schedule 40 was fine, schedule 80 if traveling under a driveway.
italie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
I ask the impossible!

On the 100A electrical, I'm just avoiding any hassles and going straight to rigid metal because I tried using schedule 40 PVC surface mounted in my laundry room and the inspector made me change it because schedule 40 is not rated for protection from physical damage, and I am certain he'd have the same objection to the risers on an underground cable.

I don't actually have the trench yet, but I'm planning to do that within a week and I'm gathering materials. We're getting the driveway torn out to replace the sewer pipe, and while the plumber is here we're having the gas pipe to the garage put in.

The garage isn't really so far that I couldn't connect computers in the garage by wireless, but I like hardwired connections when I can. It's a project that'd be worth it if it's under $50, but any more than that I'll just make do with wireless.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Scared Electrician

IT IS not covered by NEC. But put in and it can be in the same trench a 1/2 or 3/4 PVC pipe for your network. Use sch 40 for all underground and once you install a 90 to come up outta the ground use sch 80.

On another note I would highly recommend that you use PVC for your service also. Using sch 40 under ground pre-manufactured 90s and sch 80 for all above ground pipe.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Scared Electrician

use table 300.5 for burial depth you will need to be 24" deep by my reckoning.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Present your plan to the electrical inspector regarding use of the pvc for your garage. Sch 80 should be allowed unless your inspector says no. The commuinication line will have to be in seperate raceway, but it should not require 80. Ask him specifically about the PVC...it's much easier to work with and cheaper.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
I ask the impossible!

The problem on schedule 80 is finding it. It's not available at HD/Lowes and the electrical supply I have called doesn't have it either.

And I'm pretty sure my wallet can confirm that the 2" conduit I already bought is definitely rigid metal conduit and not EMT.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Scared Electrician

no sch 80 at HD?? where are you?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
I=E/R

Do you have any Menard's stores close by? They carry Sch 80
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday Cowboy View Post
no sch 80 at HD?? where are you?
This is even funnier
Quote:
and the electrical supply I have called doesn't have it either.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Do you have any Menard's stores close by? They carry Sch 80
When we lived in Indianapolis we did, but Menards doesn't seem to be up here in Michigan.

I'm guessing the electric supply I spoke with is more geared towards lighting, so maybe I need to try somewhere else, but as I said it's not such an easy thing to do when I can't get the info online and I have to do any in-person dealings during the day when I'm at work myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #13

i didnt think gas and electric could stack in same trench, please run gas caution tape if you do in trench