Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |

Where to find.....

Howdy folks, new poster here with a couple of questions.

While I was working as a service writer at a Ford Dealer, I borrowed the shops' crimping tool to make a few electrical repairs to a motorcycle wiring harness. I was pulling the bullet connectors out of our parts inventory so I didn't really worry too much about sourcing them for future projects. As it turns out, the Dealership closed when the market turned sour and life moved along.

As a hobby, I've started restoring vintage lawn and garden tractors. As many of the parts for these machines are becoming scarce, wiring harnesses can be hard to come by, so, I bought this AMP crimper off epay for $25.00 and now I can't seem to find the connectors designed for these crimpers. I've been to umpteen dozen electrical supply sites but I'm just too ignorant of all the electrical nomenclature to find what I'm looking for. I'd like to find a selection of terminals and connectors to fit the automotive applications I normally work with. If anybody has some insight, or some links, or would care to take me to school I'd be much obliged.

Here are some images of the Amp crimper I have and the die that came in it.

Thanks, Loco

locomoconomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

Where to find.....

Contact Amp?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #3

Where to find.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Contact Amp?
Tried. Web search only brings up Tyco and all they seem to offer are connectors and supplies for modular, fiber op, and other home networking stuff. I know the dies in mine are for the automotive applications because I had some left over when the dealership folded and I've used them up.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

Where to find.....

Try going on electronically-oriented forums and post photos of the connectors that mate with this crimper.

There are also electronikers who hoard this type of stuff but finding them on the Internet might take some sophisticated searching.

Also try the 800 numbers for Digi-key, Mouser, Jameco, Hosfelt, Allelectronics, James P. Marlin, etc.

At $25, I guess 2 to 5 hours is a reasonable amount of time to spend doing this.

This is a tough one.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

Where to find.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
At $25, I guess 2 to 5 hours is a reasonable amount of time to spend doing this.

This is a tough one.

I agree, especially when I compare the "New" price for a set of these crimpers at +/- $125.00

thanks,

Loco
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #6

Where to find.....

Call P&F Supply Company. They specialize in hard-to-find and obsolete electrical supplies.

www.pfsupply.com

(616) 454-3586
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

Where to find.....

Try an electronic supply house. Some have a good selection of crimp tools. Is there anything special about the type of crimping you do? If it's just standard crimping it will be easy to locate a crimper. I have a pair of T&B's that have two crimp slots. You can find one of these at any electrical supply house. Ask for orange & black handles. They will know what you mean.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

Where to find.....

The tool looks like a Pro-Crimper, which can take many different die sets. Your photos don't show the part number of the die set, but they do show the wire gages each crimp nest is designed for; 28-24, 24-20, & 18-16. These wire sizes seem kind of small for automotive applications. If you can find the die part number, refer to this AMP document which contains a table showing which die works with which terminal or contact.

I don't know what kind of connectors are used in lawn tractors, but when I worked in the RV industry we used Amp Power-Lock, Mate-N-Lock, & Mate-N-Lock II, Molex Mini-Fit Jr., Packard Metri-Pack and WeatherPack connectors, a variety of insulated terminals, and other assorted types of connectors. All of these require their own specific crimping tools and contact removal tools.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #9

Where to find.....

AMP makes lots of products over the years to work with their own tools. Another example would be they make a RJ45 plug that works with their RJ45 crimp tool.

Your best plan of action is to find something else.

I think your screwed
cochise7969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #10

Where to find.....

I used to work in a value add industrial electrical shop during my school years and I used to make custom cables. I think you want to look up pin connectors, start with this link and go from there:

http://www.action-electronics.com/ampcpc.htm#Pins
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

Where to find.....

Creamaster, your definetly on to something there with those type of crimp pins, but the pins? I used at the Ford Dealer were more round nosed bullet shaped and they nested nicely in these;

http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...onnectors.html

To restate, how about a web link to the die(s) and connectors that would work best with this crimp tool. The connectors I would like to use the most will be common automotive sized ring terminal and spade type. The only other connectors I could possibly imagine needing is the one I describe above that looks very much like the pins in the link from Creamaster that fit into the Deutsch connectors I linked to. Anything more advanced than that will come down the road after I've had the chance to improve my crimping technique. By the way, is it worthwhile to add a touch of solder to a properly crimped connection?