Where Do I Start..can It Be Done W/o JB - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Where do I start..can it be done w/o JB

This is new contruction. I intend to place all outlets for this room on a separate 20 amp circuit. The general lighting for a entry room and family room as shown on the diagram ...I would like to place them on a gen light 15 amp circuit. I started with a wiring layout from the panel to the first box and ended with a 3way and could not see a way to continue the circuit without going back to the 14/2 at the first switch and creating a junction box and daisy chain from there. In the few post that I have come across on JBs the word is that they should be avoided therefore I am looking for a way to accomplish this. Other points of interest are: each set of recessed lights will be control by its own dimmer and the ceiling fan/light will be controlled by its on switch of which the light will be 3 way. Though this is my first post...this forum has brought me a long ways with this house and any additional help/tips will be appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I start..can it be done w/o JB-faelec.jpg  

Advertisement

delman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

why would you avoid JBs? other than the fact they need to be accessible? and remember, GFCI and dimmers do not mix well.

DM

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
and remember, GFCI and dimmers do not mix well.

DM

Do not mix well with what?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by delman View Post
This is new contruction. I intend to place all outlets for this room on a separate 20 amp circuit. The general lighting for a entry room and family room as shown on the diagram ...I would like to place them on a gen light 15 amp circuit. I started with a wiring layout from the panel to the first box and ended with a 3way and could not see a way to continue the circuit without going back to the 14/2 at the first switch and creating a junction box and daisy chain from there. In the few post that I have come across on JBs the word is that they should be avoided therefore I am looking for a way to accomplish this. Other points of interest are: each set of recessed lights will be control by its own dimmer and the ceiling fan/light will be controlled by its on switch of which the light will be 3 way. Though this is my first post...this forum has brought me a long ways with this house and any additional help/tips will be appreciated..
Daisy chain your 120 to all the boxes that require it, then run your 3ways, pay careful attention to box fill and all will be good!
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

On paper that looks fine, but DO NOT wire your 3-ways like that.
It can be done with "4-wire" cable but it's not worth it.

Run your wiring from switch to switch to switch, THEN to the light box.