Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

Where can I install a circuit breaker?

My husband and me are probably going to build a house soon and right now I'm trying to do the whole process of picking out a plan, making adjustments, and seeing if it would work. We have a friend that can draft up the plans and certify it for us. We just need to know what we want first.

I've been messing around with a plan that I liked but wanted to make some changes to. The plans I like I found on the Cabin by The Woods website. One of the interior pictures caught my attention and I was looking for prow front houses. We already went over the pros and cons of building one and the pros out beat the cons.

I took and used Gimp to adjust the plan around so it is chopped up just to get a basic idea of what I might like. I'm trying to figure out where to place the tankless water heater and the circuit breaker panel since normally the houses have a walkout basement but the location we will be building is flat. We aren't going to be building a garage at least not till later in the future.

Here is what I have the plan looking like so far. Any ideas where to place the circuit breaker or tankless water heater?

Last edited by reveriereptile; 01-19-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Made image smaller.
reveriereptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Not going to find many fans on this site for tankless water heaters,
Way to much maintaince on them and by the time it pays for it's self in fuel savings it time to be replaced. Very high start up cost.
Do a simple check on Amazon.com on any brand, find a heater and look down at the bottom and check out customers reports that have bought it.
Go on the web site Pissed off Consumer.
Google the company name and model number and add the words complaints.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Pick an open area other than the bathroom/kitchen or bedroom closets for service panel
Is your tankless heater going to be gas or electric,wheres your furnace/air handler going?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #4

I was thinking of an electric tankless water heater to avoid possible gas leaks and the electric is cheaper around here than the propane. I don't know much about them other than my FIL has one since he runs a farm and needs an endless supply of hot water. He hasn't had much problems with his.

I have no clue where everything is going or what heating system to use. I'd love to go with hydronic radiant floor heating but not sure with our budget.

I've been toying with the idea if I should build a small foyer room on the side of the house to come into and have a door that has a small utility area off of it.

I've been wondering what I could put under the stairs to hide out of the way. I had planned on the breaker panel to go under it till I realized I couldn't do that.

I'm up for any suggestions or advice.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Thats why most houses like that are designed with a basement so you have a place to install the utilities
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

I would love to have a walkout basement but can't with the ground flat. My husband doesn't want a in-ground basement since his dad has had problems with his often.

We have talked about maybe building the house as a 2.5 story instead of 1.5 but aren't sure yet about the costs and if our budget can afford that.

Could all the utility items be easily installed in an attached garage if we built one?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

A garage would be great. You really do need a fair bit of space for your equipment. Even if you choose radiant heating, you need space for a boiler, pumps, etc. What is your location? You realize you can't cool with a hydronic system, right?

Tankless water heaters can be ok, but the cheap ones are usually not. Only the good one are good, and the good ones aren't cheap. Gas is FAR better than electric. Most electric tankless heaters are merely water-warmers, and your showers may be very disappointing. Before you settle on a tankless yeater, you'll need to know approximately what the temperature of your incoming water supply is. The heater just raises the temperature by a certain amount. So if your water is quite cold coming into the house, it will not be very warm coming out of the shower.

If you do decide on an electric tankless heater, place it as close to the main panel as possible. It will require more power than the rest of your house combined. The shorter the wiring to the heater, the less expensive the installation. Is there a reason you can't put the panel under the stairs? That looks like an acceptable location to me.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
A garage would be great. You really do need a fair bit of space for your equipment. Even if you choose radiant heating, you need space for a boiler, pumps, etc. What is your location? You realize you can't cool with a hydronic system, right?

Tankless water heaters can be ok, but the cheap ones are usually not. Only the good one are good, and the good ones aren't cheap. Gas is FAR better than electric. Most electric tankless heaters are merely water-warmers, and your showers may be very disappointing. Before you settle on a tankless yeater, you'll need to know approximately what the temperature of your incoming water supply is. The heater just raises the temperature by a certain amount. So if your water is quite cold coming into the house, it will not be very warm coming out of the shower.

If you do decide on an electric tankless heater, place it as close to the main panel as possible. It will require more power than the rest of your house combined. The shorter the wiring to the heater, the less expensive the installation. Is there a reason you can't put the panel under the stairs? That looks like an acceptable location to me.
It depends on the service entrance/meter location
Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

From what bit I've read it seemed like you needed at least 3' around the panel and have it 4' high without anything in the way. If it would work under the stairs I wouldn't mind it there.

At my dad's house our water tank sat in the kitchen right out in the open, we had a crawl space, the heat was from two space heaters, and the a/c was from just 2 a/c's in the windows which was plenty. The stuff didn't really seem to take up much room but with different types of heating, a/c, and water tanks they have now it is hard for me to tell how much space is needed.

With all the utilities I may need to have another room or garage for it. If I had a room added on how big should I have it that could easily handle everything?

We live in the northern part of NY up by Canada. The winter can get down to -20. Right now we live with my in-laws and their house is 2 stories with a basement. The heat is provided by ducts which are horrible and the only a/c in the house is provided by an a/c in the window of our bedroom and his mother's bedroom. The rest of the house doesn't have a/c. It does get up to 90 degrees during the summer but the a/c in our room was fine for us. I'm not sure if having a few window a/c's in the house would work fine or not to keep it cool or would be more costly running than installing an a/c unit.

The water we have would be from a well.

Last edited by reveriereptile; 01-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Not going to find many fans on this site for tankless water heaters,
Way to much maintaince on them and by the time it pays for it's self in fuel savings it time to be replaced. Very high start up cost.
Do a simple check on Amazon.com on any brand, find a heater and look down at the bottom and check out customers reports that have bought it.
Go on the web site Pissed off Consumer.
Google the company name and model number and add the words complaints.
I'm a big fan of tankless especially if there's only 2 people in the house.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #11

I'm sure tomorrow some of the plumbers will be on and most of them share my feelings due to all the service calls they get on them.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
" Euro " electrician

The electrique tankless water heater some are ok and some are not worth a stink ( have to keep G rated in here ) and the size of tankless will affect the service sizeing as well.

I allready went thru few on USA side and quite few in France so I am pretty famauir with the set up with tankless and with only two peoples it may be allright but the mantanice issue with hard water that is useally most common with tankless water heater no matter if ran on gaz or electrique verison.

Second thing for service size you will probly need a min of 200 amp due you say no gaz at all.

If you want to design the in floor heater that will work however it will be wise idea to throw in conventail HVAC unit due some case you need extra boost for heat or use the A/C unit on hot day.

I know you will have some idea along the way so you may want to make a second drawing for alternative drawing in case the first one don't work out for some reason.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #13

Your going to need a utility room or garage. What about a washer / dryer?

Whatever you decide, The closer the kitchen and utility is to the panel, the shorter the high amperage wire ( range, micro, refer, dryer, etc ) to buy.

Also, where does power come in? If its a power pole, the mast has to be on that side.
jammin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

check this site for tankless options and the CB panel is usually opposite the water works and comes in were the utility drops the pole onto the house meter outside CB panel on opposite side..never saw 230V run across the basement ceiling so the panel can be moved around the room to fit the deal.if your going for a garage you might consider having it on the side of the house with driveway just swinging around ...so walking up to the front you don't have the doors taking away from the curb appeal... or a breeze way to the garage.and this one washer and dryer up on the 2nd floor 80% of a families laundry is up there build a nice closet in the area just at the stairs...just a suggestion.radiant heating going in is the cheapest on new construction just has to be installed by experts.."no first timers"check out YOUTUBE for radient installs
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveriereptile View Post
I would love to have a walkout basement but can't with the ground flat. My husband doesn't want a in-ground basement since his dad has had problems with his often.
I'm sorry, but this is a completely silly reason for not thinking about a basement.
You might have water problems, but your next door neighbor might not.
You'll have a brand new home while you're next door neighbor (or FIL) might not.

You also don't even need a full basement, even a half or partial will be enough for some storage and utilities.

Think about it, you HAVE to dig almost that deep anyway for the footings. WHY just fill it back in with dirt???

So in closing, the panel and all utilities should go in the basement, and the tankless should stay in the brochure.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
brric (01-21-2012), frenchelectrican (01-20-2012), mpoulton (01-21-2012), plummen (01-20-2012)