Where Can I Buy These 'ground' Flood Lights? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Where can I buy these 'ground' flood lights?

I'm in the process of fixing these outdoor light fixtures and a few of these were missing. They take 120v flood lights. Any ideas on where to buy these cans cheap? Also, each outdoor flood looks like it screws into a sort of adjustable 'hinge' that carries the electrical wire and also screws into the electrical box. A lot of these 'hinges' on the outdoor lights are broken and rusted out. Can these be found at Home Depot? I also have another issue with the back flood light which is a big rectangular one (no pics of this one). It looks like it was once held up by a PVC pipe that is broken maybe? Is there PVC pipe that is made to screw through an electrical box and be pounded into the ground? Never replaced 120v outdoor lighting before. Thanks for the suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I buy these 'ground' flood lights?-photo-1-2.jpg   Where can I buy these 'ground' flood lights?-photo-2-2.jpg   Where can I buy these 'ground' flood lights?-photo-3-1.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by noone; 07-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

You have a lot of work to do. You can't just replace that fixture. The J-box is half buried! That's a dangerous and non-code-compliant installation.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
You have a lot of work to do. You can't just replace that fixture. The J-box is half buried! That's a dangerous and non-code-compliant installation.
Doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. Shutoff circuit at panel, dig out the old j-box, install new j-box, wire fixture inside new j-box. Seems straight forward to me, or am I missing something?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. Shutoff circuit at panel, dig out the old j-box, install new j-box, wire fixture inside new j-box. Seems straight forward to me, or am I missing something?
The new J-box needs to be safely above grade, which means you'll need to somehow raise the existing buried conduit up. Unless there's a lot of extra wire in the boxes, the existing wire will be too short for you to add a 6-8" riser under the box. So you'll have two options: either pull new wire that is a foot or so longer, or dig up enough of the conduit to physically lift it up a bit, and re-bury it.

If the original wiring is actually UF cable coming into those J-boxes, not conduit, then it's much easier.

Since you're rewiring this circuit, it would be wise to install GFCI protection for it. These sorts of line-voltage landscape lighting installations are rather scary and dangerous without it.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
The new J-box needs to be safely above grade, which means you'll need to somehow raise the existing buried conduit up. Unless there's a lot of extra wire in the boxes, the existing wire will be too short for you to add a 6-8" riser under the box. So you'll have two options: either pull new wire that is a foot or so longer, or dig up enough of the conduit to physically lift it up a bit, and re-bury it.

If the original wiring is actually UF cable coming into those J-boxes, not conduit, then it's much easier.

Since you're rewiring this circuit, it would be wise to install GFCI protection for it. These sorts of line-voltage landscape lighting installations are rather scary and dangerous without it.
I think it is just a cable buried in the ground (looks like romex), so I assume that is UF cable.

I don't think any of these J-Boxes for these lights were ever 6-8" above grade. House was built in 1996. How is just replacing them not safe? All twisted wires would be in a J-box and everything is wired to the circuit breaker in the main panel.

Last edited by noone; 07-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.