Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |

Where can I buy a GE 300 amp panel?

I am looking for a 300-350 amp panel box, the kind that will take the thin GE breakers. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I'm connecting it to a 45kw Diesel generator rated for 326 amps continuous load.

Also, does anyone know what type of wire I need to connect the panel to the generator? My buddy works at a coal mine and is able to bring me this SUPER thick braided wire, it looks like 1/2" thick copper rope - think it will handle 300 amps?

Hope this generator comes with some good instructions

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I am looking for a 300-350 amp panel box, the kind that will take the thin GE breakers. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I'm connecting it to a 45kw Diesel generator rated for 326 amps continuous load.

The only way you can do that is get couple 200 amp panels that is cheaper than try to buy 300 or 400 amp panel they will cost alot more than a pair of 200 amp panel will be.

Also, does anyone know what type of wire I need to connect the panel to the generator? My buddy works at a coal mine and is able to bring me this SUPER thick braided wire, it looks like 1/2" thick copper rope - think it will handle 300 amps?

Super thick braied cable may be not a right item at all so there are few leigt way to do this

My answer in bleu and I am seriously ask you It will be wiser to have a electrician to assit you on this one there is not much margin of error on this size of set up.

Second thing is that the 45 KW diesel generator espcally if trailerable type they will come few differnt voltage setting so the electrician will assit you on this one due the generator will come either triphase or single phase format and also when I menton the panels you can get them in single phase or three phase panel the key issue will be the generator itself.

Again have a Electrician to assit you on this one.

I am sorry if I am little harsh but it for your own safety.

Merci,
Marc

Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I second the hire an electrician because the instructions (if any at all) are going to be aimed towards someone that knows what they are doing not aimed at helping someone with a DIY project.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:

I'm sorry. This whole post scares me.

PLEASE hire an electrician! Please!!
And I don't mean some friend who knows how to do some electrical work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (02-23-2012), J. V. (02-23-2012), Jim Port (02-24-2012), plummen (02-24-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

This project well exceeds the ability of the DIY. It would be foolish to try and accomplish this without professional help.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
This project well exceeds the ability of the DIY. It would be foolish to try and accomplish this without professional help.
To OP.,

Now you can understand why we will tell you this will be way over your skill level on this one as I mention before get a electrician to assit you on this one.

There is too many things is not correct when you post the info and I don't feel confortable to give you any answer due the info you posted so again., get a electrician to do this for you.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

What gets me is that he probably read these replies, got annoyed and went somewhere else, as long as he only gets the answers he wants. And I bet there they don't care if someone completely clueless and unqualified is doing work like this.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

My job is usually at a large quarry where they use big cat generators. They are for sure nothing to mess with. They could light you up on an idle so quick you would not know what hit you.

I went to an MSHA safety meeting this year and even a well qualified person has to be very carefull so many variables with them.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
as long as he only gets the answers he wants
No, but it's hard when you ask HOW to do something (I just wanted to know where to find a large capacity panel box), and all the replies say NOT to do something. Obviously I could hire an electrician - if I was just going to do that, I wouldn't have made a thread. If someone would post a reason as to why it was too hard to tackle (besides the fact that electric can shock you), then I might agree.

I do think the advice about needing 2 panels might be right. I'd like to know if / how I could hook up 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/MURRAY-SIEMENS.../dp/B006NYNC48

But as soon as someone says "hire a professional", it's hard to get any useful information from anyone.
tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
No, but it's hard when you ask HOW to do something (I just wanted to know where to find a large capacity panel box), and all the replies say NOT to do something.
See me signature line.

Quote:
Obviously I could hire an electrician - if I was just going to do that, I wouldn't have made a thread. If someone would post a reason as to why it was too hard to tackle (besides the fact that electric can shock you), then I might agree.
So you want to know WHY such a job is over your head?
The reason you got the answers you did was simply a bunch of professionals who got a very obvious feeling from reading your original post.
It is obvious to most of us here that someone who wrote what you did is WAY over their head.

If you need step-by-step instructions to do a job such as this you should be doing it!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Thought I would ask some random questions.

1. What do you plan to run with this?
  2. How did you decide on how large a generator you need?
  3. Did you already obtain a permit to complete this job?
  4. Are you going to be running this in a residential area?
  5. Will this be your primary source of power?
  6. What type of fuel are you going to run this on and how do you plan to supply it?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
No, but it's hard when you ask HOW to do something (I just wanted to know where to find a large capacity panel box), and all the replies say NOT to do something. Obviously I could hire an electrician - if I was just going to do that, I wouldn't have made a thread. If someone would post a reason as to why it was too hard to tackle (besides the fact that electric can shock you), then I might agree.

I do think the advice about needing 2 panels might be right. I'd like to know if / how I could hook up 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/MURRAY-SIEMENS.../dp/B006NYNC48

But as soon as someone says "hire a professional", it's hard to get any useful information from anyone.
Im no ge fan by any means,but if you want to check into the parts maybe give Ge supply a try 402-346-4705
Id definately investigate this project further before you commit yourself to doing it
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Licensed electrician

It doesn't help anyone get the feeling that people can do the project when something like the common panel sizes are not even known.

frenchelectrican (02-24-2012), junkcollector (02-24-2012)