Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Share |

Where to buy 4/2 NM wire?

Hi all,

I'm adding the wiring for my hvac system before I close up the walls.

I currently have a steam boiler in the basement for heat, and have just added ductwork for A/C. The ductwork guys said that when I buy the equipment, I could potentially get an airhandler with a small heat pump built in so I could use it for backup heat if something went wrong with my steam heat.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'm not having any luck finding 4/2 cable to run up to the attic, all I've seen is 6/2 at the big box stores. Anyone have a good online source? I'm located in norther NJ (Bergen county), so if there is a store around I can go to it as well.

Thanks.

twincharged rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

I've only seen #4 nm in a 3 conductor with ground.

I would suggest running #2 SE cable up there then change over to copper if the unit calls for copper conductors only.

I've always just run SE cable to a disconnect then use a whip of copper to the unit.

4/3 is about $4.25/ft compared to #2 SE 2 $1.13/ft.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Awesome, thanks. Does SE need a conduit? I want to avoid that as I'm going from the basement to the Attic in a 2 story house.

Also, can it run in the same wall cavity as the Copper lines that run from the attic to the outdoor condensor unit (except this wire would go all the way to the basement instead of exiting the house). One of the pipes is insulated.

That cavity would be convenient, but not sure if there could ever be condensation or something that would be bad for the electrical wire.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Does SE need a conduit?
No, it's a cable assembly like NM.

Yes, it can run with the line set.

SE is rated for outdoor use so, it will be ok. I would just try to keep it off the high side tubing because they can get pretty hot.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Big box stores are not the only place to buy building materials. I bet in northern Jersey there is a real electrical supply house in almost every town.

And I agree. #2AL will MUCH cheaper.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. There are real electrical stores around, but I hate going to Newark haha.

And 2 conductor wire is normal right? Hopefully not a stupid question, but should I be running 3 conductor instead?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincharged rx7 View Post
..., but I hate going to Newark haha.
Can't say I blame you.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincharged rx7 View Post

And 2 conductor wire is normal right? Hopefully not a stupid question, but should I be running 3 conductor instead?
No such thing as normal. What do you need?

Is it straight 240V, or 120/240V? Meaning, is a neutral required?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Are you sure you need #4 Cu or #2 Al? That's awfully big wire for this application, unless you are running electric strip heat.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

Not really sure what I need right now. I haven't bought the equipment, and won't be until next year. But I'm closing up the walls in a couple of weeks and need to make sure I'm set for wiring.

Ill be using this as an air handler for the A/C, but was told by the duct guys that I could wire it for 60 amps and set it up to run as back up heating if I ever need it.

So I figure why not, might as well go big on the wiring and not restrict myself later on.

Open to other suggestions if this sounds dumb though.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

No, it's not a dumb idea.

Thanks to the genius powers to be, #2 isn't good for but 75 amps. Still good for a 100 amp service though

While you're at it, you may want to run a couple spare circuits up there. You never know what you may want to add later.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If the backup heating is resistive (strip heat), then you will need a lot of power. 60A may not be enough, and those units often require multiple separate circuits of specific current ratings. You really need to know what you are powering before you can wire it. Perhaps you should just run 1-1/4" conduit and leave the wiring for later. That way if you end up needing three circuits (one for the fan/controls, and two big ones for heating) you'll be able to accommodate that.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

I have 40' #2/4 MC,@$7.00 a foot.

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote