Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
t60

Share |

Where to bond GEC wire to plumbing?

So I was finally able to fish some wire from the breaker box to the front of my house, but want to make sure I am bonding it to the right location. I thought this was a bonding jumper, but this is actually one of two GECs required by my city that I am replacing.

The service comes through what looks like lead piping. The spigot outside of my house (which the current GEC wire is connected to) is copper, and the pipe coming into my house is copper. Does it matter where I am bonding the wire?

Here is the requirement directly from my city website:

Quote:
A metal underground water pipe in direct contact with the earth for 10 ft. or more and electrically continuous by bonding around insulating joints to the points of connection of the grounding electrode conductor. Interior metal water piping located more than 5 ft. from the point of entrance to the building shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode system or as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system.

t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Just make sure you bond the pipe within 5' of where the water enters the structure. and if you have a water meter inside, bond both sides of it, in case they ever remove it.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
t60

I guess my only concern is the different metal types (i.e., lead vs. copper) -- it sounds like that doesn't matter? If I keep it where it's installed now, there is no bond to copper at all, is that ok?

I only see two ground wires in my bus bar, one for the grounding rod, and one for the bond pictured.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
I guess my only concern is the different metal types (i.e., lead vs. copper) -- it sounds like that doesn't matter? If I keep it where it's installed now, there is no bond to copper at all, is that ok?
I would bond it at the copper, just because I dont know if the clamp is rated for lead? that would be my only concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
I only see two ground wires in my bus bar, one for the grounding rod, and one for the bond pictured.
The NEC requires you to use every electrode at every structure, I dont have city water, so I only have two rods, you meet the criteria of metal water pipe being a grounding electrode, but you also have to supplement that electrode with two rods, thats about all you'll ever see, unless someone does a UFER....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
t60 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
t60

Many thanks -- I'm going to buy a new clamp and put it on the copper inside the house (as opposed to the spigot outside). My city only requires the water pipe GEC and one grounding rod (or bonded to a rebar).
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
t60

With the advice of my city I installed the bond on the steel piping closest to the floor.

Can't get any closer than that

I have another question now..as I was ripping out the old wire, I got all the way to the breaker box, but can't get the very last bits of the old copper out:

This is the last piece of copper, and it's inside that conduit. It goes down to the breakers, and whichever way I pull, it won't come out. I don't have access behind the meter, so I don't know if there's a nut holding it in place or what, but I cut it out of the way and capped the conduit with some tape in the mean time (I plan on re-using the conduit for grounding the telecom box).

Is there anything I can do, aside from calling up the local electric company to pull the meter for 15 minutes to pull the old ground out? I've stuck fish tape through the conduit so there isn't anything "stuck" inside, the copper is just too stiff I suppose..