When Does Photo Votecs Work Just Daytime Or Full Moon Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

When does photo votecs work just daytime or full moon light


What do you gain in amps with full direct sun compared to just light early am and late pm and don't laugh does moon light work?

Advertisement

Mr Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

When does photo votecs work just daytime or full moon light


I've never heard of moonlight being powerful enough to generate power thru PV
Moonlight is not sunlight
It is reflected light
You need direct light - photons moving as a result of direct sunlight

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

When does photo votecs work just daytime or full moon light


Quote:
Servicing Arrays
Use open circuiting, short circuiting, or opaque covering to disable an array or portions of an array for its installation or service [690.18]. Remember, PV modules are energized whenever the module is exposed to light, including moonlight.
that is from this:

http://ecmweb.com/nec/code-basics/so...6+Maintenance)

but here is the problem and why it is not practical to consider the light reflected off the moon as a source of power:

Quote:
The amount of energy received from the sun is colossal: 342 watts per square meter, on average, over the course of a year. Of this, 31 percent is reflected immediately back into space by reflective surfaces in Earth's atmosphere and on the surface, but the remaining 69 percent is absorbed by the ecosystem. By comparison, the intensity of moonlight per square meter is estimated at 1 milliwatt, approximately 1/342,000th of the amount received directly from the sun.
from what I have found, if you had a PV cell that was efficient enough, you could produce usable power using solar energy reflected off the moon. It's just that there is so little light and we have not created PV cells that are efficient enough to produce a usable amount of power from that light.

btw: you can get your eyes "sunburned" from looking at the moon through a telescope.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,572
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

When does photo votecs work just daytime or full moon light


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roy View Post
What do you gain in amps with full direct sun compared to just light early am and late pm and don't laugh does moon light work?
In most applications, only direct sunlight will produce usable power. The amount of light provided by direct sun is WAY more than the amount of light at dusk, dawn, or full moon. However, solar panels will produce measurable power as long as they are exposed to any light at all, even moonlight. It's just so little power that it's rarely useful. Large solar arrays can be electrically dangerous at night, though, due to moonlight.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling fan light fixture doesn't work c4hfam Electrical 9 03-05-2011 02:01 PM
Dimmer didn't work, now old light switches don't work properly townpump Electrical 9 03-16-2008 08:28 PM
photo cell lights thst only work sometimes... kemerick Electrical 10 11-10-2007 12:29 PM
ANOTHER ceiling fan light fixture doesn't work bandguy Electrical 8 06-13-2007 09:40 AM
Gas oven does not work; pilot light on, stovetop works fine kathleentsy Appliances 1 05-22-2007 06:05 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts