Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

When did they installing grounded outlets in homes?

I'm looking at fixer uppers. Again. Approximately what year did houses start being built with 3 prong grounded outlets? I have owned some really old homes in the past that had to be rewired (knob & tube). Would love to avoid that in the future. My parents had a home built in 1955 that had two prong when they bought it and I currently own a 1972 house that has grounded outlets but has also had a major electric overhaul some maybe they were added later.

Last edited by Arlo; 01-17-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #2

wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Licensed Pro

In the 60's. The Romex type cables of that era had a small ground wire, about 16ga, included. You may find two prong receptacles with grounded Romex, where the ground wire was wrapped around the cable connector. Most switch legs of that era still used ungrounded Romex.
HouseHelper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #4

My house built in 62 and all outlets were grounded. My house was originally built with armored cable, which has 2 wires inside a metal flexible conduit. I don't know if intentional or not, but because the jacket of it is metal and attaches to your breaker panel the jacket works as the ground. Every box was metal and connected to the jacket of the cable making all the boxes grounded. In short, all I had to do was swap out the 2 prong outlets for 3... didn't have to rewire anything. Afterward running a plug tester they all showed they're properly grounded outlets.

Last edited by Piedmont; 01-17-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote