Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Share |

When did 20A breakers become popular

I'm trying to figure out the rating for my circuit breakers (15A, 20A, or something else) Its just impossible from looking at the panel box; words are at about 6 pt font, gray on black and worn to the point that it just can't be read.

I'm going to call the management company and see if they know, I'm guessing they won't. I do know that the property was build in 1986 so maybe that could provide some insight.

Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
I'm trying to figure out the rating for my circuit breakers (15A, 20A, or something else) Its just impossible from looking at the panel box; words are at about 6 pt font, gray on black and worn to the point that it just can't be read.

I'm going to call the management company and see if they know, I'm guessing they won't. I do know that the property was build in 1986 so maybe that could provide some insight.
The size (# of amps.) is etched on the handle of the breaker, regardless of the Manufacture. But the content of your post is different than the caption.!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

they have made 20 amp breakers since they have been making breakers. My fathers house, built in 1954, has mainly 20 amp breakers.

and as spark plug stated, the rating is on the breaker, although not all companies put etched it into the handle, some did.

and when you speak of a management company; unless this is your property, do you have any authority to be doing anything with it?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

No I don't have any authority to change anything in the panel box. They allow leeway for other basic things
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

so, what are you doing that knowing the ampacity of the breaker is important?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #6

Just trying to figure out how many amps each circuit can safely handle. I've only recently evolved from the stage where I'd turn on a hotplate and wonder why sometimes it shut off that other appliance.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Do not mess with this if you are a tenant. And are you sure you are allowed to be running hot plates and whatever other appliances with them at the same time? Bet you $5 US your lease prohibits using hot plates, coffee makers and say hair dryers at the same time?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

Hopefully the marking is etched as opposed to just painted on the handle so you can see it perhaps with the aid of a magnifying glass. Alternatively you may be able to snap the breaker out of the panel and see the amperage marking somewhere else on the body of the breaker, and snap it back into place where no one would notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Do not mess with this if you are a tenant. And are you sure you are allowed to be running hot plates and whatever other appliances with them at the same time? Bet you $5 US your lease prohibits using hot plates, coffee makers and say hair dryers at the same time?
Psst! I have owned rental property and my leases don't say anything about using hotplates etc. at the same time. Please make out check or money order to ...

Now, I did live in college dorms where the rules prohibited even one hot plate or hair dryer.