When A Circuit Blows... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

When a circuit blows...

Hello all!
I'm having a little debate with my step-father about what to do when a circuit trips.
We have 4 circuit breakers and when one trips, I identify which it is and reset only that one.
Step-dad says it is necessary to flip all breakers even though only one tripped.
Which is correct?

If he is correct shoudn't we at least shut off and unplug the devices that are still powered for safety? I ask because whenever he goes to reset the breaker, he flips all of them without telling anyone and anything that was on gets turned off, computers, tvs, etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement

kineticlops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

When a circuit blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticlops View Post
Hello all!
I'm having a little debate with my step-father about what to do when a circuit trips.
We have 4 circuit breakers and when one trips, I identify which it is and reset only that one.
Step-dad says it is necessary to flip all breakers even though only one tripped.
Which is correct?

If he is correct shoudn't we at least shut off and unplug the devices that are still powered for safety? I ask because whenever he goes to reset the breaker, he flips all of them without telling anyone and anything that was on gets turned off, computers, tvs, etc.

Thanks!
It doesn't hurt to exercise breakers once in a while but you only have to reset the one that tripped. If you are going to reset an active circuit breaker, yes turn everything off.
But...
If you are having frequent tripping of breakers, you need to find out why

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

When a circuit blows...

You are correct. More importantly it would be wise to find out WHY you are need to be resetting breakers frequently. Overloaded circuits are not a good thing.
Nevermind................
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

When a circuit blows...

Why turn everything off when only 1 breaker trips?
I only reset the tripped breaker.
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

When a circuit blows...

If it is a Multi-wire Branch circuit, both breakers for the circuit should trip, since the handles have to be tied together. In the case that a circuit is blowing, and there is only four breakers, the question that arises, is why only four breakers if it is a modern home with today's technology in it. Also, what is the amperage of the circuit breaker, and how much load is on it.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
I=E/R

When a circuit blows...

I win
Three time stamps at 8:14
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

When a circuit blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
I win
Three time stamps at 8:14
Yeah, you win again. What's your prize?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
I=E/R

When a circuit blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Yeah, you win again. What's your prize?
I think I have to furnish my own prize. Let me check the refrigerator and see what I have...
Saturday Cowboy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

When a circuit blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it is a Multi-wire Branch circuit, both breakers for the circuit should trip, since the handles have to be tied together.
It's an irrelevant technicality for this discussion, but a handle tie does not create a common trip breaker. Common trip breakers (any multi-pole breaker) are internally connected to ensure that all poles trip simultaneously. A handle tie may result in common trip behavior - it isn't guaranteed. The point is to ensure that both poles must be shut off simultaneously when the breaker is manually actuated for service.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

When a circuit blows...

You have to keep in mind, that not always will both breakers trip on a mwbc at the same time, and also people do tend to remove the breaker tie. We do not know if this is a MWBC due to not enough info, so you have to put that in there regarding problems such as the op asked about.
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

When a circuit blows...

Actually our home is not modern with today's technology, we live in a very old place with older technology.
And we know why it trips; its usually because two large appliances are being run at the same time on the same circuit, along with whatever else is receiving constant electricity. They aren't frequent, its only every few months.

Why we only have 4 breakers and why its happening isn't a mystery to us, it was just wondering whether or not resetting all handles was necessary when you can clearly identify which one tripped and which ones hadn't.

Thanks so much for all the help!
kineticlops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
I=E/R

When a circuit blows...

You're welcome
Sounds like you understand the reason for the trips..
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

When a circuit blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it is a Multi-wire Branch circuit, both breakers for the circuit should trip, since the handles have to be tied together. In the case that a circuit is blowing, and there is only four breakers, the question that arises, is why only four breakers if it is a modern home with today's technology in it. Also, what is the amperage of the circuit breaker, and how much load is on it.
Actually the requirement for listed and approved handle ties or the use of a two (or three) pole breaker was a 2008 NEC code change. Prior to the 2008 NEC the only time a two pole breaker was required was if the both circuits supplied devices on the same yoke. If this house was wired prior to the 2008 NEC and the MWBC does not supply two devices on one yoke, no handle ties are required. The other requirement for MWBC's prior to 2008 is that the removal of a device shall not interupt the grounded circuit conductor. This meant that the neutrals had to be spliced and pigtailed.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

When a circuit blows...

Why is it happening, is because you have too many items on the circuits. Your home may be old, but the technology in there is not. When we moved into our home, it had only four circuits for everything, because it was built in 1937. Back then, you had a radio, lights, and outlets in four quadrants. We move in after the fuse panel was replaced (contingent on the sale), I went through and pulled all new wiring for the outlets, and split as much up into separate circuits. In turn brought it up to code. Only time we blow a circuit, it is the 20amp for the counter top microwave & dishwasher, when both are ran at the same time.

Go through and find out what is plugged into each of the four circuits (watts that each uses (nameplate will state, or may have to check out manufacturer info if available for stuff like toaster ovens, toasters). Go and add those numbers up, and post back on here as the following, with what circuit has total watts on it, and amperage listed on the handle of the breaker. If you are able to find out what type of electric wiring, post that also. Then we can better help you to figure this out to make life easier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
electures (06-23-2011), kineticlops (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

When a circuit blows...

electures, we are not talking about the 2008 nec on this. We all know it, but the other person came here to try to figure out why breakers are tripping, not trying to find out the current code, and how to rewire their house. For all we know, this house was built back at turn of the century, and has never been touched since it was built, and may also be a rental.

For now, we are just trying to help them figure out how to stop overloading the circuit, and make things easier.

Advertisement

kineticlops (06-23-2011)