DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   What's with the price of wire????? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/whats-price-wire-97893/)

Do It Right 03-10-2011 06:36 AM

What's with the price of wire?????
 
$100+ for a coil of 12/2 :eek:
$90 for a roll of #12 THHN :eek:

....I guess it's due to the price of copper and oil....:eek:

oh'mike 03-10-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do It Right (Post 606496)
$100+ for a coil of 12/2 :eek:
$90 for a roll of #12 THHN :eek:

....I guess it's due to the price of copper and oil....:eek:

Yikes! When did that happen? Last roll of #12 THHN cost me about $50-

Going to have to check the costs today!

mem 03-10-2011 10:09 AM

Yeah, seems I remember paying around $17 for 250 ft of 14/2, maybe ten bucks more for 12/2. And that was only thirty years or so ago!

md2lgyk 03-10-2011 10:22 AM

I'm guessing it has something to do with the price of copper.

Leah Frances 03-10-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mem (Post 606626)
Yeah, seems I remember paying around $17 for 250 ft of 14/2, maybe ten bucks more for 12/2. And that was only thirty years or so ago!

:laughing:

In my neck of the woods copper prices are down compared to 2007. Also keep in mind... Big Box Stores usually sell Romex at discounted rate as a loss leader. Try buying it from an electrical supply place that charges market rate.

Do It Right 03-10-2011 10:50 AM

......That is from an electrical supply!

J. V. 03-10-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah Frances (Post 606642)
:laughing:

In my neck of the woods copper prices are down compared to 2007. Also keep in mind... Big Box Stores usually sell Romex at discounted rate as a loss leader. Try buying it from an electrical supply place that charges market rate.

When is the last time you checked Leah? I think you will be as surprised as the rest are.

Jim Port 03-10-2011 11:29 AM

Yesterday at Lowes 12-2, 250 $80, 12-3, 250 $128.

Do It Right 03-10-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 606683)
Yesterday at Lowes 12-2, 250 $80, 12-3, 250 $128.

WOW.....
I haven't had to buy some in a long time.....

I try to avoid the big box stores.
HD's the worst.

I work at a commercial office complex, (maintenance)
I fax in an order, and the stuff gets delivered in a couple of days.
Often, I don't even know what the costs are!

My bro (also a master elec), informed me of the grab-yer-ankles prices!

Leah Frances 03-10-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 606675)
When is the last time you checked Leah? I think you will be as surprised as the rest are.

Touché. Checked London Metal Exchange. Last time I bought romex was late-2010. It is up 90% since then. Guess I should have stocked up in mid-2009 when it was 30% today's price. :jester:

ControlTech 03-11-2011 06:45 AM

AC Cable prices....
 
Can someone explain why 100' of 14/2 AC cable (aluminum clad) cost the same as 100' of 12/2 AC cable (steel clad), but yet the 50' lengths were the opposite? Also, the 50' length cost less than half of the 100' length, almost as if they were charging you more per foot because it was NOT cut (???) :huh:

kbsparky 03-11-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do It Right (Post 606496)
$100+ for a coil of 12/2 :eek:
$90 for a roll of #12 THHN :eek:

....I guess it's due to the price of copper and oil....:eek:

My local supplier charges $66 per roll of 12 THHN solid, and $77 for a roll of stranded.

As for the romex, the supply house wants $93 for 250 feet of 12/2.

The local home-horror stores' price out at $70 per roll for solid THHN, $77 for stranded, and $82.75 for the roll of romex.

Local scrap yards are quoting $3.30 - 3.60 a pound for clean stripped copper. The commodities markets are quoting copper at $4.12 a pound, down from a high of around $4.60 a month ago.

hyunelan2 03-11-2011 09:18 AM

Home Depot: $51 for 100' of 12/2 NM-B
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053


Last October-November, I was buying 250' rolls of 12/2 for the low-$70s range from HD. I don't see 250' rolls of 12/2 on their website now.

J. V. 03-11-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyunelan2 (Post 607235)
Home Depot: $51 for 100' of 12/2 NM-B
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053


Last October-November, I was buying 250' rolls of 12/2 for the low-$70s range from HD. I don't see 250' rolls of 12/2 on their website now.

Thats only for 100'. A standard roll is 250'.

Thurman 03-11-2011 06:45 PM

This sounds like what we are seeing now at work with each package delivered by a freight carrier- -"Fuel surcharge". Just this past Wednesday we received packages which totaled up to about $420 worth of "fuel surcharges". All the packages fit neatly into our metal mesh bin used to transport from the receiving dock to our area. Some of these boxes were less than five (5) pounds each and had a "fuel charge" of $6.00+ on each. Any reason to increase the pricing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved