Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #1

Share |

Whats involved in converting my generator to electric start?

I have a DeVilbiss generator with a 10hp Tecumseh motor (model HM100). I found starters on Ebay but I was told that I need to have other stuff like a ring gear which is very expensive. So whats the scoop on this poop?

sofasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Unless the generator is already set up to accept a starter (things like the ring gear and wiring provisions) IMO is not AT ALL worth considering it.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

I did this a few years ago when you could still get Tecumseh parts cheap.

You will need a starter, a ring gear, and a starter solenoid at a minimum. Hopefully your shroud already has the bump out, mine did.

I also put in a charging coil to keep the battery charged when running. You really don't need that. I keep it on a trickle charger so it's always ready.

For the starter, get it new. It's not worth dealing with a used one. They do come in 12 and 120 volt versions so make sure you get the 12 volt.

For the ring gear (just the the flywheel assembly), maybe you can find one online or sometimes your local lawnmower shop will cut you a deal. They are very common on snowblowers but if you wanted that charging coil it may not have the correct magnets.

Basic wiring and you're up and running. It's not a difficult or time consuming conversion, just the cost of the parts nowadays.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
I did this a few years ago when you could still get Tecumseh parts cheap.

You will need a starter, a ring gear, and a starter solenoid at a minimum. Hopefully your shroud already has the bump out, mine did.

I also put in a charging coil to keep the battery charged when running. You really don't need that. I keep it on a trickle charger so it's always ready.

For the starter, get it new. It's not worth dealing with a used one. They do come in 12 and 120 volt versions so make sure you get the 12 volt.

For the ring gear (just the the flywheel assembly), maybe you can find one online or sometimes your local lawnmower shop will cut you a deal. They are very common on snowblowers but if you wanted that charging coil it may not have the correct magnets.

Basic wiring and you're up and running. It's not a difficult or time consuming conversion, just the cost of the parts nowadays.
I find it easier just to send the wife out and start it....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I find it easier just to send the wife out and start it....
Actually, my dad used to do that

My parent's have had this thing for about 15 years. It's just that now it's getting a bit difficult for them to pull the rope, especially when it's very cold out. Since the thing runs like a top, and we've converted it to propane, it was worth it.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

I found a flywheel on line that is listed as for an 8hp (mine is 10hp) but the part # is correct...611091. Can I assume this is correct or is there supposed to be a # stamped on the flywheel that the guy can look at for me?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
I found a flywheel on line that is listed as for an 8hp (mine is 10hp) but the part # is correct...611091. Can I assume this is correct or is there supposed to be a # stamped on the flywheel that the guy can look at for me?
That is one of the part numbers. They vary depending upon the charging system. I don't recall if it stamped on the flywheel or not.

Make sure, before you buy things, that the block has the 4 tapped holes for a starter to mount too.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Yes I have the tapped hole and the cover is bumped out, but alas, no ring gear.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

OK , so here is what im asking; is that allI need is a tooth fly wheel and a 12 volt start and a set of jumper cables and that it? no need to about the magnets ? i seem a flywheel on ebay. my motor is on a genertor and i was going to jump off the car battery using a trigger start button between the red on the jumper cable and the bolt on stater. not look to put out a lot of money, the flywheel is 50 and the new start is46.
FRITTER72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

All you need is the flywheel with ring gear (toothed) and a starter. There will be some magnets on the flywheel, for the ignition system. You don't need additonal magnets, they are for the charging system.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #11

Wink

thanks AandPDan
FRITTER72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #12

Original poster here.
Haven't converted mine yet. Flywheels are $139.00. Still looking for cheaper.

Magnet question... I see flywheels advertised as "no magnet". Don't all flywheels have magnets. I see in the above post that there are 2 types of magnet? Ignition and charging?

Let me get this straight...Ignition magnet energizes the coil and spark plug? Doesn't that also charge a battery, or is this why I need extra magnets...for the charging?

So, I can buy ANY flywheel (correct part number 611091) and it WILL run the motor? But if I want to charge a battery I need a special flywheel with an extra set of magnets? Is this a different flywheel or the same one with a special magnet installed?

This is insane!!!
I want a charging flywheel but I am afraid to spend the money and get a wrong one. AHHH!!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #13

All the flywheels have the magnet for the ignition. Not all have the magnets for the charging system. The one for the ignition is on the outside of the flywheel.

You likely don't need a charging system.

There are MANY configurations of charging systems available. Some have more magnets than others. The stators also change and some systems have voltage regulators. It all depends upon what you need/want. Basically the magnets for the charging system are under the flywheel as is the stator. They are part of the flywheel assembly.