What's The ICC Electrical Code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What's the ICC Electrical Code?

I went on the township website and looked up the electrical code, expecting it to reference the NEC. Instead, it referenced this publication: "ICC Electrical Code/2000".

I don't have any pressing code questions I need answered, I just thought the NEC was pretty much standard and was surprised to see something else referenced.

Have any of you electrical gurus ever heard of this code? How does it differ from the NEC? (just in general terms out of curiosity) How common is it that a community uses this instead of the NEC.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Advertisement

Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

http://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodcat.htm...qbGktcdk0906|8

Advertisement

jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #3

J,
Thanks for the link but it doesn't really answer my question. How does the ICC Electrical Code relate to the NEC? Does the ICC reference the NEC (in other words are they two different names for the same set of requirements)? Are they two different "competing" sets of requirements? If so is one of them going to "win out" over the other? (Will one of them go the way of 8-tracks and Beta?)

Maybe I'm just being dense...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

I know little about the details of the ICC. I have never had to work under it. What I mean by that is the nuts and bolts. For example what wire size would you use?

They are competing. Each is written by a private company. neither is law until a state or local government passes a law saying that they adopt the code (with or without ammendments).
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #5

J,
Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to understand.
It seems like the NEC is used much more commonly than the ICC. Is this your experience?
Isn't there some push to standardize building codes, electrical codes, etc. nationwide? That would imply that one of those codes is going to go away.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM   #6

No push to standardize that I know of....

The NEC has been adopted in every state in the country. In some states it may not be required by the entire state (local gvt decides) In most states the state has adopted the NEC.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #7

Thanks J. One little wrinkle that is still confusing me: If you follow the link you posted and click on "electrical codes," you can buy the NEC code books from the ICC website. It seems odd that they'd sell their competitor's product. Although if your area doesn't use the ICC code you wouldn't need their product anyway so why not sell you the one you actually need?

. . . I guess I just answered my own question

Thanks again J for filling in one of the many holes in my technical knowledge.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

6 years late to the party here.
In 2006 the ICC agreed to have NFPA maintain the electrical code requirements in the 2006 and later editions of the IRC (Chapters 33-42).
2006 was the last edition of the ICC Electrical Code.

Advertisement

rogerpa is offline   Reply With Quote