What's Happening Here? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What's happening here?

I have a switch to two overhead lights in our bathroom. The switch is likely faulty. Didn't run before, now it works. If I run a neon tester to the switch, it shows power as long as the switch is in the OFF position. However, when I put the switch in the ON position, the neon tester goes out. Why would that happen?

Thanks

Advertisement

tedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

What's happening here?

When you say in the off position do you mean it is positioned down, or it has a marking somewhere on it that says 'off'. If the lights come on when it is in the down position and on when it is in the upright position, then it was likely just installed upside down.

However if it wasn't working and then one day just starts working I'd pull it out and replace it right away as something about it just ain't right.

Advertisement

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

What's happening here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedboxer View Post
I have a switch to two overhead lights in our bathroom. The switch is likely faulty. Didn't run before, now it works. If I run a neon tester to the switch, it shows power as long as the switch is in the OFF position. However, when I put the switch in the ON position, the neon tester goes out. Why would that happen?

Thanks
I got the " picture " what you try to do here if I am right you did use the neon test light on both switch screws that why when the switch is off the neon light lit up when the switch is on the neon light go off that is correct if the switch is functing correct.

I know you mention not run before so the best bet is replace the switch they are not that expensive useally under 1 euros for it.

but make sure you disconnect the power source to this switch before you do anything and make a note how it hook up few case you may have backstabbed devices move them to the screws or just get new switch and just go with screw do not bother with backstabbing unless you have backwire that is diffrent { that a much better verison due you can able screw the plate to tighten up good }

when you have the switch out it will be good time to check any other connections to make sure they are tight that included the netural { white } conductor as well.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote