Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What wires are thes?

We moved into a house a few months ago and there are two wires sticking out of the wall in opposite ends of both the dinning room and family room.

Any idea what they are?

http://fremontandjohn.piczo.com/?cr=1

lda130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

What wires are thes?

Time to get a multi meter and see if they are hot.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

What wires are thes?

Definetely get a multi-meter to see if they're hot, I'm almost positive it's for a house speaker system the owners had placed when the house was built, but never installed the system. My brother too, has them sticking out just like that and had them put them in when his house was built (but hasn't installed a speaker system yet either).

In every case I've seen they are coiled up in the corners of the ceiling of family type rooms (living room, family room, sometimes dining room & kitchen). The coiling, the fact they're stranded, placement in the ceiling corners, and of the rooms you mention tell me it's most certainly speaker wire for a whole house radio/speaker system BUT get a multimeter to be safe (and try to find out where they end... they should all end in the same place think of where does it make sense to put the controller for a whole house radio/speaker system. They will likely end in a closet on the main floor in one of the living type rooms, or may even end up in a closet of the basement if it was intended to have it controlled remotely). Again, test to make sure they're not live first!

Last edited by Piedmont; 12-01-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote