Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

What wire to use to run 300' for 110 service

My wife and I have a 2nd home and would like to run electricity from the house to the dock - which is approximately 300'. Initially, I will just have an outdoor quad receptacle and possibly a pole mounted light. Eventually, I may have more electricity requirements (boat house with lights/lift, gazebo with lights/fan, etc.), so I want to have enough electricity available for whatever needs I may have in the future.

What type of wire should I run for the 300' length? I have plenty of space in the breaker box and am using nothing close to the 200amp service.

Thank you very much!

bobfake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

What's your budget? If it were me, I would only want to dig this once. A 40-60A sub-panel would probably be the best thing to do right now.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

No specific budget and you are correct - I don't want to dig more than this one time. That's why I want to know what wire to run so I have plenty of room to grow.

I can get a trencher and do that myself. Let's assume a 60A subpanel. What specific wire do I need to run for that distance? I can lay the wire, etc and then have an electrician hook it up to the house panel and the new sub-panel.
bobfake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

I think #6 on a 50A breaker would be fine for what you're proposing. If you're going to have the electrician pull the permit, make sure you talk to him first before you buy anything for the project.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
I think #6 on a 50A breaker would be fine for what you're proposing. If you're going to have the electrician pull the permit, make sure you talk to him first before you buy anything for the project.
If your going to run UF cable the voltage drop across 300' would put you out of the range of #6 (NEC 310.16, UF, 55A). Also 215.2 (A)3 fpn says NO larger than 5% voltage drop, #6 gives you 6% #4 gives 3.8%. I would go with #4 in pipe if money is not a problem. http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
If your going to run UF cable the voltage drop across 300' would put you out of the range of #6 (NEC 310.16, UF, 55A).
Not sure I understand what you're saying with this line. I agree about the VD at 50A, but the likelihood that the feeder would ever be loaded to that level is probably minimal.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I also agree that VD is certainly an issue at 300 feet, but it is NOT a code requirement to adhere to the 3% & 5% limits. It is just a suggestion.

At 300', using #4cu would be just at the recommended VD limit for a feeder with a continuous 40A load.
I doubt a feeder such as this would ever see 40A @ 240v continuous.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Not sure I understand what you're saying with this line. I agree about the VD at 50A, but the likelihood that the feeder would ever be loaded to that level is probably minimal.
Have you ever done VD cal before? You have to do it because of the lenght. The amperage increases as the voltage drops on the line, and by the nec you need to size the wire for the total possible amp draw on the line.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Have you ever done VD cal before? You have to do it because of the lenght. The amperage increases as the voltage drops on the line, and by the nec you need to size the wire for the total possible amp draw on the line.
So, what would be the problem with 6/3 on a 50A breaker?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I also agree that VD is certainly an issue at 300 feet, but it is NOT a code requirement to adhere to the 3% & 5% limits. It is just a suggestion.

At 300', using #4cu would be just at the recommended VD limit for a feeder with a continuous 40A load.
I doubt a feeder such as this would ever see 40A @ 240v continuous.
I agree but being that it is near a body of water and the lenght involved Im sure that an inspector ( at least where I am located ) would want it done this way.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I agree but being that it is near a body of water and the lenght involved Im sure that an inspector ( at least where I am located ) would want it done this way.
I'm really not sure what the water has to do with it, but I would it that way too. An inspector though would have a hard time making something stick that is NOT code required.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #12

I'd run minimum #6's in 1" PVC and install a small 8 space sub panel.

I'd consider adding another 1" minimum conduit for phone/cable/communication wire.

No back to back tight 90's. Dig straight with gentle turns wherever possible.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfake View Post
. Eventually, I may have more electricity requirements (boat house with lights/lift, gazebo with lights/fan, etc.), so I want to have enough electricity available for whatever needs I may have in the future.
He is looking at a lot of load here with boat lift, and a boat house how could you say the load is not big enough?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfake View Post
My wife and I have a 2nd home and would like to run electricity from the house to the dock - which is approximately 300'. Initially, I will just have an outdoor quad receptacle and possibly a pole mounted light. Eventually, I may have more electricity requirements (boat house with lights/lift, gazebo with lights/fan, etc.), so I want to have enough electricity available for whatever needs I may have in the future.

What type of wire should I run for the 300' length? I have plenty of space in the breaker box and am using nothing close to the 200amp service.

Thank you very much!
There are also lots of other requierments for panels around bodys of water so be sure to consult with an inspector or electrician in your area before starting work!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
He is looking at a lot of load here with boat lift,
Most boat lifts I have seen were on 20A 240v circuits and not having much of a load.

Quote:
There are also lots of other requierments for panels around bodys of water.....
Such as?