Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What type wire to use from transfer switch to outdoor outlet

I have installed a Connecticut Electric transfer switch for my generator (7500 watt) to my breaker panel and now I want to run wire from the switch 60 feet inside the house and hook up to an outlet (30 amp) that will be attached to an exterier wall of the house. I have purchase a rain tight outlet box, the only thing I need to do is run the wire into the back of it from the basement.
The question is, I purchased 10/3 NM-B with ground wire, the wire has a white, black, red, and un-cased ground. Would this be the correct wire to use? I had the impression that I needed 10/4 wire, with the ground wire cased,(green) but the Home Depot person stated that since this is an interior installation, that the 10/3 is what I need. Is the 10/3 wire correct? The transfer swich has a red, black, white and green wire to hook to.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

brjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Check with your local authority. It is always cheaper to only have to do a job once.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 12-02-2009 at 11:57 AM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would hope that you are considering installing an inlet for your transfer switch feed.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
It sounds as if this run of wire will be the power feed into the home when no utility power is available and you are running off the generator. If so, the local code authority may consider this to be an alternate "Service Entrance" which will require all wires to be protected by conduit for a run of this length. You are prohibited from installing NM cable in conduit.

Check with your local authority. It is always cheaper to only have to do a job once.
This would not be classified as an alternate service entrance (a term I have never heard in my career) as the generator will have a main breaker on it, making the wiring feeding into the building a feeder cable not a service cable.

Secondly, service entrance cables are not required by the NEC to be protected by conduit for the entire run. It is not uncommon to do the entire service in SEU cable.

Thirdly, there is no prohibition in the NEC from running NM-B cable in conduit, with the exception of conduit outdoors. This has to do with the conduit installed outdoors being classified as a wet location and NM cable can not be installed in a wet location. Running NM-B in conduit indoors (dry location) is perfectly acceptable to the NEC, unnecessary unless it's for protection from physical damage, but code legal.

However, I too would suggest checking with the local inspector before starting the project if there are any questions.

Also, to echo what kbsparky said, make sure you use an inlet not an outlet. There is a big difference.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFD6 View Post
This would not be classified as an alternate service entrance (a term I have never heard in my career) as the generator will have a main breaker on it, making the wiring feeding into the building a feeder cable not a service cable.

Secondly, service entrance cables are not required by the NEC to be protected by conduit for the entire run. It is not uncommon to do the entire service in SEU cable.

Thirdly, there is no prohibition in the NEC from running NM-B cable in conduit, with the exception of conduit outdoors. This has to do with the conduit installed outdoors being classified as a wet location and NM cable can not be installed in a wet location. Running NM-B in conduit indoors (dry location) is perfectly acceptable to the NEC, unnecessary unless it's for protection from physical damage, but code legal.

However, I too would suggest checking with the local inspector before starting the project if there are any questions.

Also, to echo what kbsparky said, make sure you use an inlet not an outlet. There is a big difference.

When you say inlet, I am going to assume that you mean the box on the house will have the male end, and the cord have a female end, right?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjl View Post
When you say inlet, I am going to assume that you mean the box on the house will have the male end, and the cord have a female end, right?

Oh, never mind, the box that is being shipped is an inlet.

Thanks for the help, I feel much more comfortable.

Brian
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
exactly!
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Question

I read this post. My question is similar. I had to run a 68 ft length of 10/3 plus ground romex from the transfer switch to the inlet box in my garage. From there I have to use a 20 ft length of 30 amp, 10/3 cable to the generator. My generator is rated 7500Watts. Can I safely power my 10 circuits from my generator power switch, with this run and thickness of wire? I would only be powering 15 and 20 amp single pole circuits, like furnace, lights, frig, etc. I know about the 3 volts max voltage drop. I am confused when reading the voltage, watts, on line calculators. Thanks for any help.
coldfrigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfrigman View Post
... I know about the 3 volts max voltage drop. ...
Not volts, percent. It's max 3% VD on the feeder and max 2% VD on the branch. Total 5% VD max, source to equipment.

3% is about 96 feet of 10/3 w/g cable (240V, 30A). 68+20=88' is still less than 96'. So it's fine. If you're done don't worry about it.

If you have doubts, upping the wire size on the romex only, would be a cost effective way to improve VD.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I have installed a Connecticut Electric transfer switch for my generator (7500 watt) to my breaker panel and now I want to run wire from the switch 60 feet inside the house and hook up to an outlet (30 amp) that will be attached to an exterier wall of the house. I have purchase a rain tight outlet box, the only thing I need to do is run the wire into the back of it from the basement.
The question is, I purchased 10/3 NM-B with ground wire, the wire has a white, black, red, and un-cased ground. Would this be the correct wire to use? I had the impression that I needed 10/4 wire, with the ground wire cased,(green) but the Home Depot person stated that since this is an interior installation, that the 10/3 is what I need. Is the 10/3 wire correct? The transfer swich has a red, black, white and green wire to hook to.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
Yes your fine ... ( but with this ... i have heard .. never happened to me .. that there are some inspectors get a bug up thier butt and want the 6 inches of wire that goes outside to be water tight ...)
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I read this post. My question is similar. I had to run a 68 ft length of 10/3 plus ground romex from the transfer switch to the inlet box in my garage. From there I have to use a 20 ft length of 30 amp, 10/3 cable to the generator. My generator is rated 7500Watts. Can I safely power my 10 circuits from my generator power switch, with this run and thickness of wire? I would only be powering 15 and 20 amp single pole circuits, like furnace, lights, frig, etc. I know about the 3 volts max voltage drop. I am confused when reading the voltage, watts, on line calculators. Thanks for any help.

I would never install an "inlet" inside a garage ..

besides that you should be fine ...
stickboy1375 (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #13

Question

I installed the inlet box, in a recessed way "tunnel" between two bump outs boxed with sheet rock. That way it can not be bumped or hit. It is about 10 ft from my garage door. Now I can attach a 20 ft 30 amp cord to connect to the generator outside. I was told in our town, we can do our own wiring, but have to obtain a permit, and get an inspection. So it seems, all are on board with me already using my 10/3 wire, and not to worry about voltage drop? does anyone think the inspector won't go for it, if they go by NEC as I am told? I really don't want to go through the added expense of using 8/3 wire, if I don't have to. The house is natural gas heat and gas stove, sewer, no well pump. Like I said frig, lights , furnace, microwave. Does the inspector take into consideration, what I am trying to power up? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by coldfrigman; 11-14-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
From there I have to use a 20 ft length of 30 amp, 10/3 cable to the generator.
I hope you mean 10/4...3 conductors + ground.

Last edited by k_buz; 11-14-2013 at 05:53 AM.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

Question

I used Romex brand NM-B 10/3 plus copper ground wire. I have a red, black, white insulated leads, and 1 uninsulated ground wire.