What Type Of Wire For Service Mast - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What type of wire for service mast

I'm finishing up my new 200A overhead service and I just have to build the new mast before I schedule my disconnect/inspection. I'd like to run individual conductors up my service mast and am wondering what type of wire to run. I had planned to run 3 THHN 4/0 Al conductors up the mast, but they didn't have any at the local Lowes. The guy in the electrical department said that I could just use their 4/0 USE individual conductors, but I don't know if USE can be used this way (NEC 338.12(B)(2) seems to say that it can not, but I could be misreading it). Can I use the USE conductors, or do I need to get another kind, like THHN or THWN? Thanks.

Advertisement

bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

No.,
You can not run the USE in indivual conductor due they are not marked.

If you can't find them in big box store then try electrical supply centre they will have quite few diffrent size on hand.

Merci,Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks Marc. That's what I suspected. I should have gone to the supply house to begin with, but Lowes is so close to my house. I'll pick up some of the dual rated THHN/THWN today.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

Deleted.

Last edited by J. V.; 01-19-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Stupidity
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #5

I called two local supply houses and neither carries individual 4/0 THHN/THWN conductors. It seems like they are both falling on hard times and cutting back on stock. I'll just run some SEU up the service mast and braid the grounded wire together outside the weather head. I thought that individual conductors would be easier to pull, but after pulling the SER from my meter/main to the breaker panel I feel like I can manage SEU. Does this seem like a good plan? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I know few peoples done that and with SER in the conduit IMO it is not really very good mix unless used for protection from damage and the other issue with SER cables they are very hard to bend especally at the LB fitting.

What size the extisting conduit is there as long it is 2 inch it may be ok but run by your local inspector In my area they are not approved at all.

I noticed that you are from Athens GA IIRC you should be pretty close to Macon GA they have few larger electrical supplier centre there and I am pretty sure they will have something in stock what you are looking for.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip about the supply houses in Macon, Marc. I'll call the inspector tomorrow to find out what he likes best in the conduit.

Advertisement