Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

What type of wire do I need?

I am in the planning stage of wiring for my basement bathroom. I have everything figured out except for wiring for the Exhaust fan/light/heater combo. I know I need to run 12/2 from the panel off a 20 amp breaker to the switch or fan. What do I need to run from a 3 function switch to the fan ( of course I want to be able to run the 3 functions separately). Any help would be appreciated.

deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deal View Post
I am in the planning stage of wiring for my basement bathroom. I have everything figured out except for wiring for the Exhaust fan/light/heater combo. I know I need to run 12/2 from the panel off a 20 amp breaker to the switch or fan. What do I need to run from a 3 function switch to the fan ( of course I want to be able to run the 3 functions separately). Any help would be appreciated.
Run power (12/2) to the switch. Run ENT (blue Smurf tube) to the exhaust combo. Run 12ga THHN/THWN conductors from the switch to the exhaust combo, green (ground), white (neutral), three hots.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

I'm still trying to teach myself electrical so forgive my rookie language. What is the reason for the smurf tube? Which I believe is used as a conduit, and the separate conductors. Is this to make the wiring easier than running say a 12/2 and a 12/3 wire from the switch to the exhaust combo.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

If it were me then I would not use smurf tube. You can get 12/4 cable but you won't find it at a home center. You can get it at an electrical supply house. Run 12/2 to the switch box. Run the 12/4 to the light. Neutral (white) wires from the 12/2 and 12/4 get connected together. The black from the 12/2 is the power feed to the switch(s). The remaining colors (black, red, and blue) from the 12/4 go to the switch(s). Are you using a combination 3 single pole switch device or 3 separate single pole switches? If one combination device then the power feed (black) goes to one screw on the switch. The remaining screws will be one for each switch wire. If you are using separate switches then you will need to make three pigtails off of the power feed to feed each switch.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

yes I will be using a combo 3 single pull switch. Ill have to see whats available in my area as far as 12/4 goes. Could I possibly run (2) 12-2 wires from the combo 3 switch to the exhaust fan?

Last edited by deal; 01-21-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Only one quirk I am not too crazy is the combo stacker switch they are ok to me but the major issue you will snag is the box size if you still want to stay with single gang box get the deepest one you can find otherwise two gang box will work just fine all you need a duplex switch and single pole switch { or use the timer for heater on this purpose }

As far for 12-4 NM in Wisconsin is pretty spotty not too many place them yet but what I heard they will start stocking it due the NEC code cycle change.

one option I been useing for a while use the 12-3 and 12-2 just tie the netural together on both 12-3 and 12-2 then you will have three hot conductors you can able indentify pretty well.

if this is a major remodel then you can use the flexiable metal conduit aka greenfeild or smurf tube { non metalic usaelly bleu tube } then you can run indivual conductors

And please run this exhaust fan/ heater / lite on it own circuit due the heater wattage { they run about 1200 to 1500 watts }

Merci.
Marc
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
Run 12/2 to the switch box. Run the 12/4 to the light. Neutral (white) wires from the 12/2 and 12/4 get connected together. The black from the 12/2 is the power feed to the switch(s). The remaining colors (black, red, and blue) from the 12/4 go to the switch(s).

Not sure how derateing works in the USA but here in Canada that would be 4 current carrying conductors and your #12 is only good for 16A after derateing.

How does this work in the USA.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Not sure how derateing works in the USA but here in Canada that would be 4 current carrying conductors and your #12 is only good for 16A after derateing.
Really? You start derating at 20A? WHY???
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post

How does this work in the USA.
Under the NEc we can start the derating for NM-B from the 90 degree column. #12 @ 90 = 30 amps. The final OCPD cannot exceed the 60 degree value.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #10

Running power in with 12/2, then running individual 12 gauge wire in ENT or EMT is probably the easiest way to do what you want. ENT would have to observe the distance from the surface of the wall, same as romex.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Electrician

Thanks Jim, now you said that I have heard that on here before. We have to derate starting at 20A.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote