Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

What size wire and what kind of conduit...

I posted yesterday about how I should wire my sub panel from my main panel, which caused me some confusion on which wire size I need. I am wiring a 60 feeder breaker from my main panel to my sub panel. The main panel is outside of the garage and the sub panel is going to be in the basement. So I am going to be running wire through conduit on the inside of my garage, down through the wall and into the basement ceiling. Does 3/4" EMF (metal) conduit sound like the right thing to use on the inside of my garage?

I was told from my last post that since my city uses 2008 NEC codes that I should use 4/3 copper wire. When I just went to Home Depot the guy said I should use 4 individual, 6 gauge wires. He said that could handle up to 75 amps. He seemed to really know his stuff and 4, #6 wires makes more sense to me (4 gauge seems awfully big). I am going to ground out the sub panel to the main, so that would be the 4th wire. So is the guy at Home Depot right, should I use 4, 6 gauge copper wires?
epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #2

It's better to put this as a reply in your old thread

As no-one knows what was said in the other thread now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You needed #4 because it was nm cable. Using separate conductors in conduit is totally different.
And for 60 amps you'll only need a #10 ground

Last edited by wirenut1110; 02-16-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: more info
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterson777 View Post
I posted yesterday about how I should wire my sub panel from my main panel, which caused me some confusion on which wire size I need. I am wiring a 60 feeder breaker from my main panel to my sub panel. The main panel is outside of the garage and the sub panel is going to be in the basement. So I am going to be running wire through conduit on the inside of my garage, down through the wall and into the basement ceiling. Does 3/4" EMF (metal) conduit sound like the right thing to use on the inside of my garage?

I was told from my last post that since my city uses 2008 NEC codes that I should use 4/3 copper wire. When I just went to Home Depot the guy said I should use 4 individual, 6 gauge wires. He said that could handle up to 75 amps. He seemed to really know his stuff and 4, #6 wires makes more sense to me (4 gauge seems awfully big). I am going to ground out the sub panel to the main, so that would be the 4th wire. So is the guy at Home Depot right, should I use 4, 6 gauge copper wires?
EMT conduit in your garage, yes.
6 gage single strand THHN is correct for conduit for 60amp, all terminals need to be rated at 90degrees and no other derating factors can apply to use 75amp, most people don't seem to ever use the 90degree rating even between new breakers, which atleast some are rated at 90.

Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
6 gage single strand THHN is correct for conduit for 60amp, all terminals need to be rated at 90degrees and no other derating factors can apply to use 75amp, most people don't seem to ever use the 90degree rating even between new breakers, which atleast some are rated at 90.
Not so Jamie. There are very few if any terminals rated for 90 deg C. About the only thing rated 90 deg is the wire itself.
The 90 deg column is basically used for derating purposes and not much more.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #6

So I should use 3 #6 wires, and 1 #10 for the ground? Just out of curiosity, would it still be OK to use a #6 for the ground? A #10 would be nice since it would save me some money.

Sorry wirenut for leaving out the conduit information before. I didn't realize that I didn't mention that part until I got to the store today.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Not so Jamie. There are very few if any terminals rated for 90 deg C. About the only thing rated 90 deg is the wire itself.
The 90 deg column is basically used for derating purposes and not much more.
I thought the Cuttler Hammer CH breakers say they are rated at 90 degrees, or are they talking about they are just rated for use with 90degree wire?

Jamie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

You'll need to get a green or bare wire for the ground, and a white or black with yellow or white stripe for the neutral. You cannot re-identify anything smaller than #4. You can pull any size you want for the ground as long as it's not smaller than #10. You'll play hell pulling 4 in a 3/4 conduit though.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
You'll play hell pulling 4 in a 3/4 conduit though.
Are you saying it is difficult to pull 4 #6 in a 3/4" conduit or are you speaking of 4 gage?
Jamie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Also, 4-6's is max fill in a 3/4 EMT. Whatever code says max is ,I usually go at least 1 if not 2 sizes larger depending length and bends.

If you run any of this conduit outside, you'll need to use compression fittings, set screw fittings will be ok inside. If I was you, I'd just run PVC in and out. To me it's easier for a DIY'r.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

I'm saying 4 #6's. that's the max fill in 3/4 so that means it is TIGHT.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
I'm saying 4 #6's. that's the max fill in 3/4 so that means it is TIGHT.

I just did a pull of 4 6awg is 3/4" EMT with 360degrees of bends over about 50'. I used no pull lube and had no problems with the pull at all, it really was an easy pull.

I use a fiber tape and I spend a long time preparing the leader.

Jamie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
I thought the Cuttler Hammer CH breakers say they are rated at 90 degrees, or are they talking about they are just rated for use with 90degree wire?

Jamie
I'm not sure. I rarely use CH series breakers. Could be though, but they would be in the minority.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #14

Does the conduit need to go from panel to panel? Can I just run it in the garage, once the wires enter the basement do they still need conduit?

Last edited by epeterson777; 02-21-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #15

Anyone able to answer my last question? I also put it in another thread but realized after I posted that one that this one has more history.