DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   What size of wire to run? (

wire09 01-06-2011 10:17 PM

What size of wire to run?
I need to power up a 100 amp panel on a new detached RV garage from my existing 200 amp panel. What size wires (2 hots, 1 neutral) would be the correct size to run over a 240 feet span between panels? the panel will be grounded from the new foundation . I will be using a 50 amp RV hook up and just basic electricity for a 2300 sq.ft garage. Your help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Scuba_Dave 01-06-2011 10:21 PM

Where are you located ?

You need 4 wires for a sub here

So you are feeding the 100a panel with 50a ?
Or you want a 100a panel, then will feed 50a to the RV ?

wire09 01-06-2011 10:38 PM

I live in the high desert, California. Electrical was not in my plans and the garage has been finaled though the city, but would still want to be complaint.

I am feeding the new 100amp panel from a 200 amp panel attached to my home, distance of 240 ft. I want to run a 50 amp service to my RV from the new 100amp panel.

Scuba_Dave 01-06-2011 10:43 PM

From what I see in the tables...
For the full 100a draw #2 wire would give you 4.8% voltage drop drawing 100a
Drawing 80a or less it would be a 3% voltage drop or less

2 hots, neutral & a ground
Plus 2 ground rods
Neutrals & grounds kept separate at the sub
Neutral bar not grounded to the case

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.