DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What size generator to purchase?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  VelvetFoot 
#1 ·
I would like to install a back-up generator for power outages for my well only. What minimal size should I consider? And suggestions on make?

Will52

#3 ·
It all depending on what size well pump you have and you will need slightly larger than normal size generator you will selct due the starting amps on the pump can cause some issue with it.

As far I know if you are under 1 hp well pump @ 240 volts useally 5 KW generator will handle it without much issue.

For larger well pump it will be case by case due some well pumps are on three phase so that something you may want to watch out.

Keep in your mind there is three wire single phase well pump motor there as well so if you have control box next to the pressure switch it pretty good chance you have three wire pump motor which we called Capaitor start Capaitor run or induction run one of the two.
Useally will have red , black and yellow conductors that useally a dead giveway somecase not so check it out closer.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.