Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |

What size breaker and wire ?

Hi

I am new to electrical stuff and have a fairly simple question. I have a out building that i plan on running outlets and lights too.

1. What I need to know is what size breaker is appropriate for my application?
2. What is the size of the wire that I need to use to go from my main panel in my house to my out building (ie 6,8 gauge) ?
This wire will be running underground for approximately 20' and the total distance from my main panel to the building is 85 '.

This is what I will have in my building for outlets and lights:

- 14 total outlets (110v)
- 3 standard strip lights

This is what my tools or devices are:

- heat gun
- battery chargers
- full size freezer
- sealing iron
- small heater (1500 watt)
- 3 strip lights
- pedestal fan
- dremel tool
- drill

I do not plan on using more than 4 things at one time excluding my lights if this helps !

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddley View Post
Hi

I am new to electrical stuff and have a fairly simple question. I have a out building that i plan on running outlets and lights too.

1. What I need to know is what size breaker is appropriate for my application?
2. What is the size of the wire that I need to use to go from my main panel in my house to my out building (ie 6,8 gauge) ?
This wire will be running underground for approximately 20' and the total distance from my main panel to the building is 85 '.

This is what I will have in my building for outlets and lights:

- 14 total outlets (110v)
- 3 standard strip lights

This is what my tools or devices are:

- heat gun
- battery chargers
- full size freezer
- sealing iron
- small heater (1500 watt)
- 3 strip lights
- pedestal fan
- dremel tool
- drill

I do not plan on using more than 4 things at one time excluding my lights if this helps !

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Scott

Seems like a lot of outlets for a building. But what I would recommend is perhaps putting a sub panel in your building

Dedicated 20amp circuit for the heater 12/2
Dedicated 15amp circuit for the deep freezer 14/2
Two additional 15amp circuits with the remaining outlets split between them 14/2
1 15amp circuit for the lighting 14/2

You could use a 60amp subpanel fed with #6 copper

Check with your local electrical codes but this should help start you out.
macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

I also would recommend #6 wire and a 60 amp sub panel.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

Hi

Thanks for the idea for the sub panel. The problem I have with putting a sub panel in is that I would need to have another service run out to that sub panel and hence another electrical bill.

I plan on expanding my main house panel to a 200 amp panel and going that route. If I was to do this could i use a 60 amp breaker in my new house panel or would I have to use more than one ?

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Thanks for the idea for the sub panel. The problem I have with putting a sub panel in is that I would need to have another service run out to that sub panel and hence another electrical bill.

I plan on expanding my main house panel to a 200 amp panel and going that route. If I was to do this could i use a 60 amp breaker in my new house panel or would I have to use more than one ?
A subpanel does not require another service from the utility company nor another bill. Is this all on your own property? Installing a subpanel is basically as simple as running a 240v circuit out to your building (plus installing ground rods and a couple other things). It has nothing to do with the utility company.

What size is your current house panel? 100A? You probably do not need to expand your current panel unles your calculated load is nearing 100A, which it likely is not.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
I also would recommend #6 wire and a 60 amp sub panel.
Use a 70 amp or higher main breaker sub panel. You can feed it with any size circuit you want.

Quote:
Hi

Thanks Scott
You do not know what a sub panel is. You do not need a new service. You pull four wires instead of three from your main panel and install a sub panel with main breaker in the structure. All you need are two spare slots in the main for the breaker.

From reading your equipment list you would be foolish to not install the sub panel. Do it right the first time. Use PVC conduit and seperate wires. Four wires to be exact. H-H-N-G.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

One double wide two handled 60 amp breaker is all you need in your main panel. From there #6 copper wires to your outbuilding would be perfect.

By the way you are only allowed to have one power feed going out there. If you ran a thinner wire and later decided you need more power, you would have to start from scratch and decommission the old thinner wire.

f you temporarily use 20 amp breakers (same double wide two handled) in your main panel you could procrastinate on putting a subpanel in the outbuilding and still have the #6 wires for future power needs.