Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

What is required to eliminate electric from office wall?

I am wondering what is required to completely remove electric service from an office wall that is being removed. This is in Illinois and am bidding a job to remove 2 walls, preform drywall work/paint and am wondering if a licensed electrician needs to perform this type of work and if a permit/ inspection would be involved.
The walls are 8' steel stud with a couple of outlets and a blank plate in them with a drop ceiling above. Does the wiring need to be taken out all the way back to the junction?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

flatlander745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander745 View Post
I am wondering what is required to completely remove electric service from an office wall that is being removed. This is in Illinois and am bidding a job to remove 2 walls, preform drywall work/paint and am wondering if a licensed electrician needs to perform this type of work and if a permit/ inspection would be involved.
The walls are 8' steel stud with a couple of outlets and a blank plate in them with a drop ceiling above. Does the wiring need to be taken out all the way back to the junction?
You'll need to remove the wire at minimum back to the nearest exposed junction point. It is not difficult to remove the conduits and boxes since you'll likely find that all connectors are set screw type. The big question is, why does the owner want the recepts removed? If the owner did not object, you could rock over the existing boxes and install blank covers (in this case, you don't even need to remove the wire). Then if they want recepts in the future, it will be very easy to add them.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I suggest hiring an electrician for this one. It could be an easy job and it could turn out to be a pain in the ass depending on what those boxes might be a junction for. If they are the end of a branch then you're fine but they could have something else branching from them.
Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,024

Since you are in Ill I would suspect you need a licensed contractor and permits.
DO NOT attempt this job yourself in this commercial environment.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's not.

I hope that helped

It could be a matter of simply disconnecting some MC run down the wall. If there is a grid ceiling, access will be easy enough. If it's a hard lid, your job just got harder. If you take off a neutral wirenut on a MWBC during the simple demo, your profit margin may get blown very quickly.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
If you take off a neutral wirenut on a MWBC during the simple demo, your profit margin may get blown very quickly.
That's for sure, it could be.... priceless

Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote