Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |
Question

What is this piece of metal for in my load center?

Anyone know what this funky paddle in the middle of my load center is? It bends really easily, like it's lead or something...

Background:

I purchased a load center to put in my utility room. I am finishing the basement and was going to just run a 10 gauge from the main panel for an electric washer/dryer stacker outlet, but then I thought - "Hey, why not run 6 gauge and put in a little subpanel - then if I upgrade the furnace or add other things to the utility room I have the power for it."

So I bought this GE load center, I'm going to run 6/3 NM from the main panel on a 50A breaker, then put a 30A breaker in here for the dryer unit and have two spaces left over for future use.

First thing I noticed - no ground bar - so I went and bought a ground bar. Then I noticed this metal piece, and felt ignorant because I had no idea what it's for. And I don't want to possibly do something dumb by just ignoring it. I haven't seen anything like it in my bigger panels.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What is this piece of metal for in my load center?-metal-thing.jpg  

danielrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

That is a bonding jumper. If installed between the neutral bar and the metal enclosure, it bonds the ground and neutral.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #3

Okay, it all makes sense now.

The neutral bar came with two lugs on it. I wondered what the second lug was for - to hook in the bonding jumper. I took the extra lug off the neutral bar and put it on the ground bar when I installed the grounding kit.

On the bigger panels they just had a green screw I could tighten to bond the neutral to the box, I guess that's why I didn't see a bonding jumper in those panels.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Bonding jumber not used when this is not being used as a main panel. I just remove them so someone don't decide to connect it later.
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

That funky metal peice that is the bonding jumper you will have to ditch that due you are setting this up as subpanel and you are planning to run 6-3 NM cable that is fine.

However just becarefull with GE breakers espcally with thin double poles they are tricky if not watching them correct due the way it set up if you land it in wrong spot you will NOT get any 240 volts.

So let me post the photo of THQP* breaker look like so you will know what to look for it.( Full size is THQL )

* this is a thin two pole verison so let me post the next photo what full size will look like.

So therefore your panel can take THQP without issue but just watch where you land the breaker to order get a full 240 volt on them for dryer.

Plus you will have plenty left over space for other circuits due this is a 4/8 panel ( 4 full size or 8 twinner or duplex )

Merci,
Marc
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #6

So I can get the thin one and make sure it crosses the barrier between hots and use it for the dryer? Like this?

Then, in the space I would have put the larger 30A breaker, I can put a 30A breaker and, for example, two 20A single pole breakers on either side? That's pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
So I can get the thin one and make sure it crosses the barrier between hots and use it for the dryer? Like this?

Then, in the space I would have put the larger 30A breaker, I can put a 30A breaker and, for example, two 20A single pole breakers on either side? That's pretty cool.
Oui ., C'est ce que j'en parle.

(Yes ., That what I am talking about it.)

Single pole THQP on ether side of the 30 amp THQP two pole will work in this fashion.

But be aware the cost it may be more than convental THQL breakers will cost so it your call but if you are going have couple extra circuit then use the THQP's that can justify the cost.

Merci,
Marc

danielrg (05-23-2012)