Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
kjv

Rewards Points: 10

What are 'legs' on circuit breaker box?

Please!!! my husband and I desperately need help. Here's the problem...While the AC was running the breaker that controls it was pulled out and therefore messed up the AC in which it would no longer run. It is an outside htg/ac unit. Just had the AC folks there to fix the problem and they said the AC was ok but the problem is that one leg of current is missing and we need an electrician to take care of it. Could someone please educate us as to just want this means? This is getting to be a really expensive endeavor. Thanks sooooo much for any help!

kjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjv View Post
Please!!! my husband and I desperately need help. Here's the problem...While the AC was running the breaker that controls it was pulled out and therefore messed up the AC in which it would no longer run. It is an outside htg/ac unit. Just had the AC folks there to fix the problem and they said the AC was ok but the problem is that one leg of current is missing and we need an electrician to take care of it. Could someone please educate us as to just want this means? This is getting to be a really expensive endeavor. Thanks sooooo much for any help!
I assume that you have 220v a/c. 220 has two wires (legs) which supply 110 volts each and a third which is common (or neutral). When the breaker was removed while a/c was running ("hot") there was an arching accross the breaker contacts and the "lugs". Lugs are the main supply wires to the buss bar. Check to see if any wires are fused or burnt off. I'm certain that arching caused the problem but if you are not familiar with electricity I strongly suggest you call an electrician. This is not a major repair.

imtheman24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
kjv

Sorry, my first time posting and I made a mistake.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,050

No..... the other guy asking about the swimming pool..... Your post is fine so are you still there?
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
kjv

Yes I am. Thanks for letting me know. I felt bad about that. Have a great day!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Sorry, my first time posting and I made a mistake.

not a problem, I was only making a suggestion so you get more reply's to your question.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see you post back so soon..... Must have been a hvac tech in a hurray not to fix it for you.....

If I am reading your post correctly the outside A/c disconnect (breaker) has been torn from the house or was damaged. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
kjv

No...actually it is the inside breaker box. My Mom pulled out the box that holds the two fuses that is meant for the a/c while the a/c was running. She was trying to figure out which one was for the hot water heater. The a/c is just 3 years old and is a very nice Amana unit and has never been a problem until she did that! The unit hasn't worked since. We put new fuses in the box at the outside unit thinking maybe they were blowed but not the case. Thanks for helping!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,176

Did you by any chance check the fuses in the inside pullout?

Do you have any way to test for voltage?
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
kjv

Yes, someone checked for us and said the fuses were alright, however we are going to buy new ones and replace them since the ones in there are so old. This is a house that we are trying to sell that is not where we live so we will not be going there again until next weekend. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Ok that is a good plan to replace the fuses. You are going to need to know how to use a voltage tester once you do that and if the a/c still does not work. Once you replace the fuses and if the unit still does not work go out to the outside units disconnect and turn it off... leave the inside pullout installed and be careful the wires and lugs inside the disconnect will be live. check the wires coming into the disconnect fuse block from the house fuse panel to ground (bare or green wire). Each live wire connected to one fuse will be 120 volts to the ground screw. If you check between the two live wires it will be 240 volts. If either one of the lives shows zero to ground at the disconnect then you have lost what the hvac guys called one leg of the service. So something has happened to keep that wire from getting energized. I gotta feeling that the problem is back at the house panel since that is the only place your mother did anything. If you still have one dead leg go back to the house panel check voltage with the pullout for the a/c removed. You are going to possibly need someone that is familiar with voltage checks so might solicit someone to help. Let us know what your results are.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
kjv

Talking

I surely will! And...thanks sooooo much for your time and help. This stuff can be very stressful when you don't know what the heck you're doing!! Thanks again and I'll be back in touch and give you an update. Have a great week!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
kjv

You were right on the money!! The electrician came and fixed the breaker box. Thanks for your interest and help. Have a great week! Carol