Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 516

What kind of connection is this?

I have a rental unit that has a surface mounted connection on the inside that I can't quite figure out what they are.

There are two parallel cables that run under the eave and enter into each room through the exterior concrete block wall.

On the inside of the wall I have two of these, one in each room.

They are not regular phone jacks. They are not RJ45 Ethernet cables either. I tried both plugs and they don't fit.

I then removed the cover and looked at the inside. The incoming wire has eight strands, or four pairs?

INCOMING - brown, brown/white stripped, blue, blue/white stripped, green, green/white stripped, orange, orange/white stripped.

The jack has four strands - blue, blue/white stripped, orange, orange/white stripped.

Only the blue and blue/white stripped strands are connected.

Also, what's weird is the jacks (both of them) has some sort of gel in it.

Any idea what kind of cable this is? Voice? Data?

I did try and trace from under the eave to the other end to see where both cables go, but unfortunately I got it all the way to the other side of the building and they both went inside the concrete wall again to the mechanical/electrical room, and a bunch of other cables go in there too, and inside that room where the cables penetrated, is a huge metal shelving unit with a bunch of junk blocking most of the wall and I can't see what's behind unless I start moving everything out of the way.

Since it's a rental nothing is turned on right now besides electric, so there is no incoming phone, internet, cable TV etc...I am just curious what this is. My last few tenants did not need phone lines and used their cell phones exclusively.

Last edited by miamicuse; 12-26-2013 at 07:41 PM.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,634

Looks like a typical phone jack to me.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

No, the jack is much wider, actually almost as wide as a RJ45. It is much bigger than the regular phone jack RJ11.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,148

That's pretty unique. My guess would be it's an old cat 5 cable that someone's used for a special situation. Spliced together by those connectors for a phone/fax/lan. I'm not sure. In the 90's Lan partys where a very common source of computer game playing etc..

You may be able to salvage the cat5 and use it for phone or fax if you wanted. I wouldn't use it for data, too slow. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly that will know exactly what it is.

Last edited by jmon; 12-26-2013 at 08:07 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,292

Possible RJ31x Jack. The first two are just typical 3m "Beanie" connectors. Step back and take a wider shot of the wall where the third picture was taken.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-26-2013 at 08:07 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Someone used UTP wire for the phone lines it looks like to me. The line one is hooked up with the color codes Ring blue/white and Tip white/blue. If there was a second phone line, those would have been Ring orange/white, and Tip white/orange.
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Check out this wiki for RJ Jacks when you have timehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

It looks like it may be a RJ14. This is used for two voice connections either two phones or a phone and a fax. The connectors for RJ14 are slighty larger than RJ11 (plain old telephone which most people have) and RJ45, which is used for Ethernet. Definately not used much anymore these days.

Last edited by jmon; 12-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
That's pretty unique. My guess would be it's an old cat 5 cable that someone's used for a special situation. Spliced together by those connectors for a phone/fax/lan. I'm not sure. In the 90's Lan partys where a very common source of computer game playing etc..

You may be able to salvage the cat5 and use it for phone or fax if you wanted. I wouldn't use it for data, too slow. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly that will know exactly what it is.
The weird part is there are two of these cables running into this one single two bedroom units, one to each room, instead of splitting in the attic...

Right now I have three options.

(1) Get rid of it. Pull off these jacks and push the cable into the wall cavity. Patch the small hole on the sheetrock and pretend they are not there. If a tenant wants a land line or DSL service, they can contact the phone company and have them come out and they would most likely run a new line.
(2) Replace the jacks and rewire it to something usable and I am not even sure what this is .
(3) Leave it and when a tenant ask me "what is this for?" I say "it's some kind of a jack"
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Possible RJ31x Jack. The first two are just typical 3m "Beanie" connectors. Step back and take a wider shot of the wall where the third picture was taken.
Does this shot help?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay5309 View Post
Someone used UTP wire for the phone lines it looks like to me. The line one is hooked up with the color codes Ring blue/white and Tip white/blue. If there was a second phone line, those would have been Ring orange/white, and Tip white/orange.
hmm...I didn't think of two phone lines or fax.

I never opened up the other jack in the second room, may be it's wired differently? Let me check that one and see if it's wired differently.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Wrong picture. Again, need a far back view of the wall that is in picture #3, which is the actual jack we are talking about, not the beanies in pictures 1 & 2.

It also helps to know your location, due to phone jacks vary country to country.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Check out this wiki for RJ Jacks when you have timehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

It looks like it may be a RJ14. This is used for two voice connections either two phones or a phone and a fax. The connectors for RJ14 are slighty larger than RJ11 (plain old telephone which most people have) and RJ45, which is used for Ethernet. Definately not used much anymore these days.
So best to make it disappear?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamicuse For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Wrong picture. Again, need a far back view of the wall that is in picture #3, which is the actual jack we are talking about, not the beanies in pictures 1 & 2.

It also helps to know your location, due to phone jacks vary country to country.
gregzoll, I am not getting what you are looking for. There is nothing else visible if I stand far back.

I am located in the United States, Miami, Florida.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
So best to make it disappear?
Yea, I agree, I believe that would be option 1.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Yep, jack was for a Home Alarm system, that used wireless units at windows and doors. Could tell from Picture 3 that it was a RJ31x jack.

You can replace that jack with a RJ-45, if you want a Ethernet Jack, or unhook and start pulling. Most likely once you get it loose at each jack, the cable will pull right out of the wall.