Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of Circuit breaker??

EDIT: Found out its a cutler hammer.

Does anyone know what kind of Circuit Breaker this is? I need to have some work done, and I can't make it home for another 8 hours... all I have is the pictures attached. The install date on the green sticker says 1990 - if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Circuit breaker??-dscn1284.jpg   What kind of Circuit breaker??-dscn1285.jpg  

Last edited by baist111; 12-17-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
baist111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Those are Cuttler Hammer type CH.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by baist111 View Post
EDIT: Found out its a cutler hammer.

Does anyone know what kind of Circuit Breaker this is? I need to have some work done, and I can't make it home for another 8 hours... all I have is the pictures attached. The install date on the green sticker says 1990 - if that helps.
FYI: You should have the main turned OFF when you remove or replace the cover on your panel. There is a arc flash hazard when removing / replacing covers.

If your doing the work yourself, these breakers are available at home depot, Menards, etc. for about $6 each. If your hiring an electrician, allow them to supply the necessary breakers, this is a very common one and they should have it in there truck.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
FYI: You should have the main turned OFF when you remove or replace the cover on your panel. There is a arc flash hazard when removing / replacing covers.

If your doing the work yourself, these breakers are available at home depot, Menards, etc. for about $6 each. If your hiring an electrician, allow them to supply the necessary breakers, this is a very common one and they should have it in there truck.

Jamie
Thanks for the replies...

I'm actually without power at this point because the main breaker is stuck in the off position - that's why the panel is off.

I'm being very cautious I've hear a lot of bad stories - I have an electrician coming to the house this afternoon, I just wanted to let him know everything ahead of time so that he could come well prepared.
baist111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by baist111 View Post
Thanks for the replies...

I'm actually without power at this point because the main breaker is stuck in the off position - that's why the panel is off.

I'm being very cautious I've hear a lot of bad stories - I have an electrician coming to the house this afternoon, I just wanted to let him know everything ahead of time so that he could come well prepared.
I would have him check that your panel is properly grounded as well. I don't see a ground wire coming out of your panel at all, but I might just not be able to see it in the photo. If it was installed in 1990, I am pretty sure they would have required grounding rods at that point to be connected, as well as bonding to the water pipes if they are copper. A few wire staples on the loose wires around the outside of the box would be a very good idea as well.

Good Luck with the repair.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote