DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   What kind of can light is this? (

smokey847 06-05-2012 11:33 PM

What kind of can light is this?
Picked up three of these at the Restore for $5 a piece--I've been wanting to add three to the soffit near my patio to light it. I don't really know anything about these fixtures (and can always return them), but was hoping someone on here could help tell me what kind they are and how I would mount them. They are about 4" in diameter, and the bulb is a small incandescent about 1" in diameter. Here is a picture--has some clips on the sides that I assume are to mount with. Please advise.

smokey847 06-07-2012 11:34 PM

It uses this kind of bulb. What is this kind of can best used for? Is it 120v?

Jim Port 06-08-2012 09:26 AM

That is a very inexpensive remodel recessed light housing.

smokey847 06-08-2012 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to mount the three of these in the soffit near my patio to light it up. Any ideas on how they mount? If you look closely, you can see metal spring things on the side. Doe these need a housing, or just a hole and they'll hold themselves in?

joecaption 06-08-2012 07:35 PM

I doubt you even be able to fit them in a soffit, there to tall.
Also it looks like there a remodel light not a new constrution, which means there made to snap into a sheet rock ceiling not a soffit.

M3 Pete 06-08-2012 09:00 PM

Nice to see people using Restore, but recessed light cans are quite cheap, under $10 for new construction, and under $20 for retrofit. They come with instructions, take normal bulbs, etc.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.