What Kind Of Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of breaker

I'm kind of a novice to electrical wiring. I wanted to know what kind of circuit breaker I need to install. As you can see I have 2 blanks on the panel. That does mean I would need to add a circuit breaker, correct?

I will be installing 4 new receptacles, and a light switch for future track lighting. So what breaker shall I pick up? any help appreciated thx

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/...6ffb58f4_o.jpg

Advertisement

TaazKareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

What kind of breaker

Im not exactly sure, it kinda looks like pushmatic breakers but I could be wrong. Is there any markings on the panel?

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

What kind of breaker

It's a Pushomatic. A single pole 15 amp breaker will take care of your needs, unless the outlets are for a kitchen, laundry or bath.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #4

What kind of breaker

Ok cool thx but I have 20amp outlets and 12 gauge wire I just bought, I believe I have to buy a 20 amp breaker, correct? They can safely be installed in this service panel?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Electrician

What kind of breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaazKareem View Post
Ok cool thx but I have 20amp outlets and 12 gauge wire I just bought, I believe I have to buy a 20 amp breaker, correct?
You don't have to use a 20A brkr...you could use a 15A if you wanted to. You can always go lower, but not higher than the rating of the circuit. 20A outlets wired with 12 ga would be a rated 20A circuit, so you could use either a 15 or a 20. I'd use a 20, but I just wanted to clarify that for you.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

What kind of breaker

You will need to Google obsolete breaker dealers to find a place that sells your breaker. Expect to pay around $20-25 for the breaker.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Electrician

What kind of breaker

Not necessarily Jim. I don't know 100% if HD and Lowe's carries them, but Menard's does...but Menard's only has stores in the mid-west. Other elect suppliers in my town stock them too....and they are about $20-25.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #8

What kind of breaker

I don't know exactly what to look for. A "Pushmatic" or "Pushomatic" breaker? Is that the manufacturer of the breaker or the manufacturer of the service panel? Or Is pushmatic a style of breaker and I can use different manufacturers? Sorry I don't know that much, I have an electrician friend that will come in and wire everything up but I wanted to have the correct materials ready for him. And hopefully I will be able to pick it up right at home depot or lowes.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
DIY'er

What kind of breaker

Quote:
I don't know exactly what to look for. A "Pushmatic" or "Pushomatic" breaker? Is that the manufacturer of the breaker or the manufacturer of the service panel? Or Is pushmatic a style of breaker and I can use different manufacturers? Sorry I don't know that much, I have an electrician friend that will come in and wire everything up but I wanted to have the correct materials ready for him. And hopefully I will be able to pick it up right at home depot or lowes.
Siemens was making the Pushmatic for a while, but then I think they gave it up, now there is just one company that is making the breakers, I think they are in Canada. It was the name of the product, and once may have been the name of the manufacture as well, but I don't know that for sure. I don't think they were installed much past the 1960's.

Anyway, Home Depot had the 15 amp pushmatic in stock when I was there about a month ago. They are also on ebay all the time. They can even be found on amazon.com

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Electrician

What kind of breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh52375 View Post
you don't need any breakers just cut a slice in the wire coming into the house b4 it hits the timer box and spice off that you can have all the electric you want for free then box it in so the power company can't see it
I'm astounded!! That's the most dangerous thing I've ever heard !! Don't even consider doing this !!

This OP obviously has limited knowledge of electrical and you're suggesting that he cut into live, unfused service wires????? I'd rather hear that he gave up the idea of adding a new circuit than to hear he got killed trying to do what you suggested Josh!!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

What kind of breaker

*GASPING* OMG! and i thought i was off sometimes....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #12

What kind of breaker

Woah, Ive seen that before...I really bet this guy was just joking, but its bad to give people the wrong idea...especially when it comes to electrical.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Electrician

What kind of breaker

Quote:
You can probably find it at HD or Lowe's pretty easily. 'Pushomatic' is a style. It used to be a brand line, like Square D has QO and Homeline today. If you ask an associate at the store for a Pushomatic breaker, they should know what you're talking about. I haven't found any by different manufacturers that didn't work in those panels.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
DIY'er

What kind of breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
I'm astounded!! That's the most dangerous thing I've ever heard !! Don't even consider doing this !!

This OP obviously has limited knowledge of electrical and you're suggesting that he cut into live, unfused service wires????? I'd rather hear that he gave up the idea of adding a new circuit than to hear he got killed trying to do what you suggested Josh!!
It scares the heck out of me too when I see stuff like this posted. I saw it and quickly realized the guy was just here to cause problems and reported him. However, I have seen too many people that will just blindly follow directions when given. Someone that lacks a fundamental understand of electricity, could easily get killed if they followed directions like that that someone posted.

Lesson that everyone that comes here should learn: If you not sure something is right, correct or safe, call a professional for help or at a minimum, verify your information with trusted sources.

Take Care
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #15

What kind of breaker

I would know better than to do such a thing. Hopefully other folks would have common sense as well. But in any event, I will probably be installing these 2 pushmatic breakers, long as I don't fool with the hot wires in there I should be fine because I have an understanding of what to do. It would be easier to attach the electrical wire beforehand right?

Advertisement