Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 75
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


I recently purchased a home in Connecticut under cl-p service area. My house inspector pointed out that the service drop was very low and I should call to have it raised.

I do plan on making that call, however, I have some concerns about how they may fix it. My house is located on a hill and the utility poll is at the base of the hill. It does not look like they will be able to pull the wire taught/raise it given the physical limitations. What would the utility company do in a situation like this? Would they plop a new poll down in the middle of my yard? That would suck... I'd rather pay to have the line buried in the ground if that is the case.

nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


(B) Vertical Clearance for Overhead Service Conductors.
Overhead service conductors, where not in excess of
600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum
clearance from final grade:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) at the electrical service entrance to
buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of
the building electrical entrance, and above areas or
sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured
from final grade or other accessible surface only for
service-drop cables supported on and cabled together
with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage
does not exceed 150 volts to ground
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) over residential property and driveways,
and those commercial areas not subject to truck
traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to
ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft) for those areas listed in the 3.7-m (12-ft)
classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to
ground
(4) 5.5 m (18 ft) over public streets, alleys, roads, parking
areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other
than residential property, and other land

230.26 Point of Attachment. The point of attachment of
the service-drop conductors to a building or other structure
shall provide the minimum clearances as specified in 230.9
and 230.24. In no case shall this point of attachment be less
than 3.0 m (10 ft) above finished grade.

__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Md/Pa
Posts: 1,151
Rewards Points: 658
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


I'm curious k_buz....does this information apply to POCO owned wires as well?
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,148
Rewards Points: 512
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


How low is low, I believe our POCO wants around 12' if it is over grass accessible only to pedestrians.

Older house probably means different rules then today rules.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhatnapster View Post
I recently purchased a home in Connecticut under cl-p service area. My house inspector pointed out that the service drop was very low and I should call to have it raised.

I do plan on making that call, however, I have some concerns about how they may fix it. My house is located on a hill and the utility poll is at the base of the hill. It does not look like they will be able to pull the wire taught/raise it given the physical limitations. What would the utility company do in a situation like this? Would they plop a new poll down in the middle of my yard? That would suck... I'd rather pay to have the line buried in the ground if that is the case.
First off, does it 'look' low, or is it low? Personally, if its not over a driveway, and is pretty close to 10' above grade I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. A picture is worth a thousand words though.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
I'm curious k_buz....does this information apply to POCO owned wires as well?
Simplest answer is, no. But they have a hand book that follows the NEC pretty close though, I'm going to post some pics in a minute.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,864
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
First off, does it 'look' low, or is it low? Personally, if its not over a driveway, and is pretty close to 10' above grade I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. A picture is worth a thousand words though.
FULLY agree, especially since this all started from a home inspector's report.
I bet it is nothing.


nowwhatnapster,
Bottom line: THIS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Don't think a call to the POCO will magically make the issue go away.
The CUSTOMER is responsible for making sure the point of attachment is high enough to maintain clearances. This is why some homes have mast services and some don't.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,132
Rewards Points: 2,056
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Here are CL&P's overhead service requirements, I live in Connecticut by the way, so I'm familiar with CL&P.






Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
zappa (07-09-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 75
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Great information guys. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Yes, the power line are in fact low. I was just outside today with a friend of about 5'6" height and the line was no more than 2' to 3' above his head. I can say that is accurate to 10% margin of error. To put it in another perspective, the lowest point on the power lines is a hair below the cable/phone drop that runs to the same utility pole. The cable drop is mounted about foot lower on the house too.

Side note: My house inspector knew my wife when she was a kid so he did an A+ job.

My best friend is also a licensed electrian, but I try not to bug him too much which is why I'm on here asking questions. I did speak with him today briefly and he confirmed what I have heard here. I believe he said a mast or utility poll may be required. If its a mast, it will need to be inspected and there is a possibility the existing drop wire may be too short and need to be replaced at my expense.

Does anyone know what sort of expense it might be to dig a trench and have the drop run under ground? I would say its about a 45' - 50' straight run to the poll.
nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,864
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhatnapster View Post
Yes, the power line are in fact low. I was just outside today with a friend of about 5'6" height and the line was no more than 2' to 3' above his head. I can say that is accurate to 10% margin of error. To put it in another perspective, the lowest point on the power lines is a hair below the cable/phone drop that runs to the same utility pole. The cable drop is mounted about foot lower on the house too.
If this is the case then it may just be a matter of tightening the service drop. It should NOT be lower than the phone/CATV, especially since both mounting points are higher than the CATV to begin with.
In most cases this is something your POCO would do for free.




Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhatnapster View Post
......... and there is a possibility the existing drop wire may be too short and need to be replaced at my expense.
99.9% of the time this is not true. The drop is the POCO's responsibility and they will replace or work on it at their expense. Even if it is short.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,282
Rewards Points: 2,226
Default

What are height requirements of a residential supply service drop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhatnapster View Post
Great information guys. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Yes, the power line are in fact low. I was just outside today with a friend of about 5'6" height and the line was no more than 2' to 3' above his head. I can say that is accurate to 10% margin of error. To put it in another perspective, the lowest point on the power lines is a hair below the cable/phone drop that runs to the same utility pole. The cable drop is mounted about foot lower on the house too.
On my house, the CATV, telco and power are mounted at the same height. The lowest line is no less than 10 feet from the ground, going across the yard, it increases to 15 feet, then 3/4 20 feet above the yard. We got lucky when the Poco was going around raising drops, we got ours raised, due to it was at ten feet. All I had to do was be nice and ask and they did it with no prob.

My next door neighbors is still drooping on her garage along with her telco & catv, due to the PoCo thought that no one lived there and thought that there was no reason to raise at this time.

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remodel - Moving from 200 amp service to 320 amps stevedar Electrical 20 11-29-2009 08:14 PM
Under-rated service drop? fw2007 Electrical 5 07-08-2008 07:24 PM
New Service Drop derby1251 Electrical 5 05-07-2008 07:20 PM
2x100a sub on service main jambud Electrical 17 03-12-2008 09:31 AM
200 amp panel with a 100 amp service? alexz Electrical 10 07-29-2007 10:00 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.