Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

What is everyone's favorite panel brand to work with?

I'm going to be adding two sub panels at some point, hopefully soon if funds permit, and also upgrading my main.

I'm thinking Square D, but their breakers seem very expensive compared to the other brands. Cutter Hammer seems nice as well, and Siemens seems to be fairly popular too. Stab Lok's are the cheapest, but probably for a reason. My current panel is a Stab Lok and I find the way the breakers fit is a bit flimsy, they don't feel strong. Maybe the newer panels are better? I only noticed the new breakers I bought feel this way so maybe they are slightly different and fit better in new panels.

Also anyone familiar with AFCI code in Ontario? Currently I have none, but if I'm adding panels I probably have to comply. From my understanding in the states it's pretty much everywhere except for where GFCI are required. So basically everything but kitchen, bathroom, garage and outside.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

I just installed a Square D QO that went faily smoothly, haven't used any other brands to compare it to but I would buy it again.
As for Stab Lok, I didn't think they acturally made them anymore, the reason for my new panel was to get the Federal Pacific Stab Lok panel out of there, my insurance company was going to drop me if I didn't.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

I don't really know about requirements for AFCI/GFCI breakers, I had the understanding that if you were adding new circuits you had to use them but not if you were chaning out the panel or a breaker without changing the circuit. If anyone would like to correct me on this feel free.

Bill

banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Also anyone familiar with AFCI code in Ontario? Currently I have none, but if I'm adding panels I probably have to comply. From my understanding in the states it's pretty much everywhere except for where GFCI are required. So basically everything but kitchen, bathroom, garage and outside.
Red,

Might I suggest you pick up a copy of the Electrical Code Simplified, http://www.psknight.com/book1.html?

It's pretty good at explaining what needs to be done for most residential situations. I used when I got my electrical endorsement in my final year for my plumbing ticket. I got it at HD for ~$18-20.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
....As for Stab Lok, I didn't think they acturally made them anymore, the reason for my new panel was to get the Federal Pacific Stab Lok panel out of there, my insurance company was going to drop me if I didn't....
The OP is in Canada, and up there you can still get so-called Stab-Lok breakers. They are marketed under the name Federal Pioneer, and are readily available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm not sure how insurance companies in Canada deal with them.

Personally, I would not consider anything other than Square D type QO panels and breakers.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

STAY AWAY from stab-locks...they're nicknamed firestarters for a reason, they tend not to trip and cause arcing a lot. I know your in canada but they're illegal in most of the us states form what I know.

In my opinion, I've worked with a lot of brands throughout the years. I like ITE/Siemens the best....the quads can be a bit spendy but they offer plenty of room for wire makeup and are just overall sturdily built panels.

GE's are nice, price wise as well, but I hate the breaker slop(when the breakers all seem to weigh downward and your deadfront pushes them all back up) you get when using the "slim" breakers, looks tacky, plus they don't offer much wire makeup room anymore.

I've never been a big fan of squareD, they seem to make nice panels, and every DIY where I'm from gets them. But I think its because it's what the local big box stores carry and monopolize on. The QO panels are the only squareD panel I would consider...reason why, because they're the only panel legally listed for AC and DC if your ever going to do solar

so....ITE/Siemens for the win i say

Last edited by D5T_Designs; 05-20-2011 at 12:03 AM.
D5T_Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

I mainly use Eaton products, Cuttler Hammer. Breakers line up easy,
Ten year warranty on all breakers and loadcenters.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
The OP is in Canada, and up there you can still get so-called Stab-Lok breakers. They are marketed under the name Federal Pioneer, and are readily available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm not sure how insurance companies in Canada deal with them.

Personally, I would not consider anything other than Square D type QO panels and breakers.
Yeah I think they don't have the same issues, but still probably wont go with them. They are owned by schneider electric which is reputable though.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 05-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote