Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What else am I missing for an upgrade?

Need your help please. For an equipment upgrade to a 3R 200A LC panel I have these last few questions I need help on. Can anyone tell me if I have an inspection problem with any of the below items per NEC 2008? All other technical issues with the upgrade are understood. All I'm planning to do is replace the LC equipment and bring it up to code, not add or modify any existing branch circuits.

1) I have existing Sch-40 PVC conduit running from the 3R LC and runs to an attic load via the exterior wall. It is a 220V 30A branch. Since it is existing, do I need to worry about upgrading it to Sch-80 or EMT to pass inspection?

3) Similar to #1 above, I have a Sch-40 PVC running from the 3R LC down to the ground and laterally over to a load in another part of the property. Its a 20A 120V branch. Since it is existing, do I need to worry about upgrading it to Sch-80 or EMT to pass inspection?

3) I have a branch circuit feeding a GFI receptacle located in the main bathroom which feeds another bathroom receptacle and a patio receptacle. Do I need to bypass the existing GFI and replace the breaker feeding the GFI with a GFI breaker to pass inspection?

Note: Sch-80 is not available at either of the big box houses.

Also, if I have to worry about any of the above, what NEC Art drives the need to make additional changes in these areas. Thanks for your help.

Johnd85053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

This may be best to talk to your local inspector about. Since it's a service only upgrade they may let you leave the rest existing. Or they may have you bring it up to code. Anywhere the pipe can be subject to damage would have to be 80. Not sure on the GFCI.

rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

1 & 2) As rrolleston mentioned, ask your inspector. If they don't consider it "subject to damage", then you don't need Sch. 80. NEC 352.10(F) & NEC 352.12(C) If so, they may grandfather it in. If they don't, take a careful look at HD's electrical. I found mine actually had Sch. 80 sticks. Otherwise you can order them online, or see if you have an electrical supply house in the area.

3) For the bathrooms NEC only states that the outlets need to be GFCI protected. It doesn't state whether it has to be a breaker or a receptacle. However, you're not allowed to have the patio receptacle on the same same circuit as the bathroom receptacles. NEC 210.11(C)(3)
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote