What Does X And Y Mean? - Electrical - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What does x and y mean?


Mike, the clothes go stiff because the heat in the room air being sucked into the dryer is being used to run a generator. Wiring it backwards generates electricity. In some jurisdictions one can receive heavy fines or even jail time for generating electricity without a license/permit, in addition to the required business licenses & permits. (licenses for generators and licenses for distribution)

The advantage and disadvantage of using a natural gas dryer is that this cannot happen; they only work one way.

Advertisement

99BN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

What does x and y mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
It's imperative that the two hot wires be connected to the proper x and y terminal. If they are connected incorrectly, the dryer will work in reverse and blow cold air instead of hot. If you find your clothes frozen stiff as a board reverse the two wires. That is why virtually all freezers and refrigerators are 115 volts. Only one way to wire them up. Otherwise half the people would wire them backwards and cook the stored food rather than preserve it. No need to thank me for providing this information. I've learned so much from others here on this forum I'm just happy to be able to return the favor.
Is that the same way heat pumps work?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 272
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What does x and y mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
It's imperative that the two hot wires be connected to the proper x and y terminal. If they are connected incorrectly, the dryer will work in reverse and blow cold air instead of hot. If you find your clothes frozen stiff as a board reverse the two wires. That is why virtually all freezers and refrigerators are 115 volts. Only one way to wire them up. Otherwise half the people would wire them backwards and cook the stored food rather than preserve it. No need to thank me for providing this information. I've learned so much from others here on this forum I'm just happy to be able to return the favor.
You certainly didn't learn that on this forum...well, you didn't learn it from those who know electricity, anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BN99 View Post
Mike, the clothes go stiff because the heat in the room air being sucked into the dryer is being used to run a generator. Wiring it backwards generates electricity. In some jurisdictions one can receive heavy fines or even jail time for generating electricity without a license/permit, in addition to the required business licenses & permits. (licenses for generators and licenses for distribution)

The advantage and disadvantage of using a natural gas dryer is that this cannot happen; they only work one way.
...uh, ... yeah... well, hopefully the OP can tell the correct answer from the BS
__________________
Willis
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,904
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

What does x and y mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
You certainly didn't learn that on this forum...well, you didn't learn it from those who know electricity, anyway...



...uh, ... yeah... well, hopefully the OP can tell the correct answer from the BS
Willis, if the OP cannot tell the joking from the real answers in this thread then they should not be touching electrical.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,221
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

What does x and y mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Willis, if the OP cannot tell the joking from the real answers in this thread then they should not be touching electrical.

Oh shoot, I was about to patent an all purpose freeze/cook device by modifying a fridge to use a toggle switch and reverse the hot and neutral! You just bursted my bubble! :p

But yeah, knew it was a joke, reversing AC does not really do much. It changes 60 times a second anyway. Just need to get neutral and hot correctly as it's hooked up a certain way at the panel and hot is what is "cut" when a switch or breaker is thrown, so you don't want neutral having any power to it on it's own.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #21
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What does x and y mean?


Speaking of X , Y , Z for the European verison it will be R S T it the same thing so in case you see it it will line up the same pattern as X Y Z is

Merci,Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts