What Does A GFCI Do That A Circuit Breaker Doesn't Do? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What does a GFCI do that a circuit breaker doesn't do?

Can someone clarify what a GFCI does that a circuit breaker doesn't do? I just opened one and the pamphlet inside says:

"In the event of a ground fault, a GFCI will trip and quickly stop the flow of electricity to prevent serious injury.....A GFCI receptacle does NOT protect against circuit overloads, short circuits, or shocks."

But, if there was a ground fault, wouldn't a circuit breaker do the same thing? And if the GFCI doesn't protect you from shocks, what exactly is its purpose? And why are they typically only required in wet locations?

Advertisement

lmorsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorsino View Post
Can someone clarify what a GFCI does that a circuit breaker doesn't do? I just opened one and the pamphlet inside says:

"In the event of a ground fault, a GFCI will trip and quickly stop the flow of electricity to prevent serious injury.....A GFCI receptacle does NOT protect against circuit overloads, short circuits, or shocks."

But, if there was a ground fault, wouldn't a circuit breaker do the same thing? And if the GFCI doesn't protect you from shocks, what exactly is its purpose? And why are they typically only required in wet locations?
What the GFCI purpose to do is reduce the amount of chance of getting electric shock.

It will read the inbalance between the line and netural and if both are reading the same numbers ( like even load ) the GFCI will stay on but once the load get unbalanced like something causing slow current leakage it will trip the GFCI breaker or receptale.

However the GFCI do not protect if you have the short circuit show up the conventinal breaker section will do this.

The reason why it required in wet location due it very easy to get electrique shock due maybe a bad drill housing ( metal ) and you are on wet ground the GFCI breaker or recepetale will sense this and trip it out before any serious harm will happend.

The following areas will that required GFCI protection:

Swimming pool
Spa
Outdoor receptales
Kitchen small appalince branch circuits
Bathroom
Unfinshed Basement
Garage ( it don't matter if enclosed wall or open stud walls )
Pump house
Boat house

There are few more but I will have to take a look what it on the listing due I am well verised with French codes but pretty good with NEC ( National Electrical Code )

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

A breaker will only trip if the ground fault causes more amps than it's rating to pass through.

Say you stick one finger in the hot of an outlet, and another finger on a metal pipe that is grounded. Your body will not be causing a dead short situation that would normally trip a breaker, however it will be drawing some current, and you will be getting a shock.

If you were to do this with a GFCI, it will trip, because it detects that the current that is "coming out" of the hot, is not returning to the neutral. GFCIs basically ensure that the amount of current on hot and neutral are always the same.

Also I'm not sure how GFCIs react to a dead short, I don't think they're designed to handle them and might even be damaged.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 826

In my travels, I've noticed gfi receptacles will fail under a surge condition and act as a surge protection device.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

SAfe money.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote