Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Lightbulb

What do you guys do to save on your Electricity bill? (2009 Edition)

Ok, first off, yes i've replaced all my bulbs to CFC's

What do you guys do?

Lets talk about real world 2009 things to do..

Ps. this is one of the BEST sites ive found about saving on your electrical bills. : http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/

ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

What saves on my electric bill is I tapped me a little subpanel off my neighbors service before they moved in so they wouldn't notice a change in their electric bill.......j/k

[QUOTE]Ok, first off, yes i've replaced all my bulbs to CFC's[QUOTE]

I thought cfc's were outlawed.

Last edited by wirenut1110; 02-08-2009 at 07:04 PM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Turn off the light when you leave the room. Repeat for 30+ years. I am physically INCAPABLE of walking out of room without hitting the switch. Doesn't matter if there's still someone in the room. My DH hates it, especially when he's in the shower.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

I have replaced all my light bulbs with those CFC's or CFI's don't know what they are called exactly, turn off all lights not in use, and shut all computer and stereo equipment at the surge protector. Once in a while I take off my meter and put it back upside down. Sometimes the Power Company owes me. Just kidding.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Really, all kidding aside all bulbs have been changed, installed motion switches in rooms, digital tstat and programmed to change settings during the day and night. Ceiling fans in every room in the house, used to just have SCR's. Just to name few.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Saving electricity is good, I try to get efficient psus, light bulbs, etc. I still don't see how it helps the environment.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #7

The biggest savings on electricity (or money for that matter) will come from saving on many small things. Add them up and then you have quite a bit of savings.

If you look at things like "It is only a dollar, so why bother". Or "It is only 25 cents, so why bother", then you're never going to save much.

If you understand that pennies add up, then...

Place everything on a power strip which is "always on". These days this is pretty much anything electronic. Turn the power strip switch off when the gizmo is not in use (if you don't need to use a remote control or don't need it to keep its memory.)

Many phones plug into the wall to use various features on the phone. If you don't use any of these features - say just an extension phone, unplug it and the phone will still work (unless cordless). I only have one phone plugged in which has numbers stored and is also the answering machine.

Compact Florescent Lights everywhere.

I disconnected the clock on my electric range because I don't use it. You can only do this with older ranges which have the old mechanical knobs.

I have all new Energy Star appliances (except range) and window air conditioners. The new refrigerator was larger than the old and still saved me $15 a month on electricity. A new window air conditioner had more BTU's, yet used half the electricity of the old unit.

I placed two old water heater tanks next to my woodstove to pre-haet the water before going to my electric hot water heater. You can do the same thing with a solar water heater. An electric water heater can be 30% of an electric bill.

Add as much more insulation as is possible.

Install Energy Star double pane gas filled windows. Use heavy curtains as well to keep the heat in.

I have a wall switch for my microwave oven which is right next to it. I turn it off when not in use. Microwaves use more electricity just running the clock then you use heating stuff! (Hint the clock runs 24/7.)

Yesterday I made a big pot of macaroni. I pre-heated the water on my woodstove before using the range. Then after dinner, I had this big hot pot of macaroni. It was 35 degrees outside. So instead of placing it in the refrigerator and it running all night to cool down this big pot, I placed it outside overnight. Placed it in the refrigerator this morning.

My electric bill was $50 last month!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #8

I replaced all the windows in the house & insulated the cavity where the sash weights were located. Heating system only runs 1/2 of what it used to. I also insulated the sill plate, added a 3 season front porch & a greenhouse off the back

Almost all bulbs have been switched to CFL's. I have 9 left that are on dimmers & have not been switched. They aren't used that much. Kitchen had 320w of lights, rewired, replaced, installed 4 CFL recessed & I'm down to 84 watts if every light is on
I have LED hockey puck lights - 3 use a total of 4 watts instead of the 40 watts used by (2) halogen. Nice crisp white light

Water heater is a high efficiency model & is set to just under 120

I use a set of white LED christmas lights on the front porch as a nite light. We very rarely if ever turn the porch light on now

I'll switch to LED lights if the costs ever get below $3 a bulb
CFL's were between .80 each & FREE after instant rebates - so I stocked up

I use power strips on the TV's, cable boxes etc

Programmable thermostat - 65 at night, 68 when we are home
If no-one is home it goes down to 60. I also keep the shades up on South facing windows when its sunny.

In the summer we use fans, shut the South facing shades
At night we open the windows & blow colder air in, warmer air out. In the morning the windows get shut. I also have venting skylights to allow heat to escape

Retired the old 18cu ft fridge & bought a 26 cu ft fridge that uses LESS then the 18cu ft fridge. Unplugged another small fridge that we were using. Instead of buying a large freezer we bought a smaller energy efficient freezer

I also swapped my Christmas display over to LED & CFL bulbs
I was "saving" over 10,000 watts an HOUR

My electric bill was $375 last month
BIG Christmas display
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #9

1. New HE Furnace with 24volt fan ....with programable T stat set for 55 when at work, low 60s at nite...68 when home supposed to save a bundle, but it's two weeks old
2. CFLs everywhere possible...LEDS for Xmas
3. Split basement lites to individual switches so not all on at once.
4. Motion sensing coach lites outside.
5. Sealed for drafts behind most baseboards and entire rim joist, sill plate and joist bays. Insulating attic to R50
6. Replaced weatherstrip and lower corner seals on all doors and levelled threshold for maximum seal
7. Installed exhaust vents with weighted dampers for dryer and microwave.
8. Replaced fridge and stove and scrapped 25 year old bar fridge
9. Run furnace fan in summmer, delay ac until most needed
10. Manual trimmers for yard work.

To Do
1. Water heater blanket
2. Seal windows
3. Seal recepatacles
4. Install motion sensor lite in laundry and freezer room.
5. Timers for bath fans?????

We had already dropped both our elec and gas consumption prior to new furnace by about 15% in past 1 1/2 years .We used a cheap programable T-stat among other things. If I had to guess I think lights were a great move for us since we have 3 teen / pre teenage boys always roaming room to room to fridge to microwave.

Furnace fan instead of Air Con helped a lot as well....

This is the first winter with improved seals for drafts , etc.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75
Question

I really want to save electricity bill. I am trying to replace 75W bulbs with 18W energy saving bulbs. But it is six times expensive than normal incandicent bulbs. worst case is it is not last long as they advertise. Therefore most of the people little bit reluctant to by those bulbs. Once the bulbs is blown, they ran to the shop and buy quick and easy 60W bulb for few cents.

what is the replacement for 12V halogen.
I can use LED but it is very expensive. (have to pay 4-5 times more than normal bulb). Still it does not give same amount of light.

much appreciate your comments.
mpj111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
To Do
1. Water heater blanket
Take a look here: here http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/for...?TOPIC_ID=3143 and here http://www.hotwater.com/bulletin/tcb2.html
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #12

Thanks MT,
Interesting info on the water heater blanket. My bigger concern is that my replaceemnt larger heater stands 1" off the uninsulated wall and we get -30 outside.
Yes, insulate the baseement is on the list. It's a a work in progress......
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #13

The payback depends on the energy savings vs. how much of your (1 kW average) elec. bill is consumed by lighting, heating, appliances, etc..
PoCo knows these percentages.

Payback periods of more than 10 years are not too useful.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,124

I'm switching back from CFLs to incandescent bulbs to save money. The CFLs fail so darn quick I found I had to replace the expensive things before they could save what they cost. And then on top of it they have to be treated like hazardous waste when they burn out. And if one breaks you have to open all your windows when it's 7 below outside and decontaminate your home.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I'm switching back from CFLs to incandescent bulbs to save money. The CFLs fail so darn quick I found I had to replace the expensive things before they could save what they cost. And then on top of it they have to be treated like hazardous waste when they burn out. And if one breaks you have to open all your windows when it's 7 below outside and decontaminate your home.
I predict men in black from the CFL industry will be at your door, very soon.
Lies are society's oil, and you are putting sand in their oil.
And good for you!

If the CFLs fail significantly earlier than their stated MTBF (but note that the chance of surviving as long as the MTBF is only 37%) there might be class action lawsuits for violation of implied merchantability.

Can you provide numbers?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill, electricity, power, saving electricity