Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

what to do with a sub who won't show?

I've got a deal worked up with an electrical guy who seems to have a lot of trouble returning my calls and maybe even showing up, as well. I know the guy is not working lately, but hey, why not return my call and show up as scheduled for a job? It ain't much, but it's money coming in, right?

tommy potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes View Post
I've got a deal worked up with an electrical guy who seems to have a lot of trouble returning my calls and maybe even showing up, as well. I know the guy is not working lately, but hey, why not return my call and show up as scheduled for a job? It ain't much, but it's money coming in, right?
Plenty of others out there that would love to have the job. Open the yellow pages and start calling. What's your location, anyway?

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #3

Maybe there is a reason your guy isn't working.
IMHO when things get slow the best guys are generally still in demand. It's not always 100% and circumstances change but some trades enjoy their downtime and aren't motivated to do any more than they need... human nature and it exists everywhere not just in trades. Some are also good savers and get by just fine when things are slow.
There are several kinds of trades I meet, the ones who punch the clock 9-5 with 2 hours off for lunch and coffee and those who are efficient and professional.
I would far sooner start early and work through with a 15 minute lunch to get home and see my family, so I learned long ago not to charge by the hour but by the job. I would never hire most of the trades I work alongside because of this but I make a point of collecting contact info from the real pros. I met a 20 year old last year who was writing his Journeyman electrician's test. Started in co-op at school when he was 15, worked summers, etc. His townhouse is now paid for and so is his car and he's a lead on the job site for his company......enough said. There's a guy I would hire.
There is an old saying that to the effect that if you want something done find someone who is busy to do it........
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

The Post:
Quote:
Now to disect this and break it down:

Hmmm, let me guess....the "deal":
Quote:
I've got a deal worked up
...Yes, that bargain-basement "Deal"....you have with this guy is .....the issue. You aren't real eager to do the intelligent & Logical thing....and call someone else (another Electrician), because "someone else" won't give you the same "great" (rock-bottom) price, as the no-show, invisible guy...

Quote:
... It ain't much, but it's money coming in, right?
....Ummmm,..you get what you pay for ....

.....Pay the lowest amount, and you will get the lowest service, or, in this case, "No" service. -at all.

Easy & Obvious Solutions:

A. Spend a little more money, and find a Reliable, professional, and Responsible Electrician.

OR

B. Continue to be miserly and Cheap, and attract the dregs of the construction world, and trades. Then you can come on here and whine and cry....about getting what you deserve....er, I mean, pay so little for....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
A. Spend a little more money, and find a Reliable, professional, and Responsible Electrician.

OR

B. Continue to be miserly and Cheap, and attract the dregs of the construction world, and trades. Then you can come on here and whine and cry....about getting what you deserve....er, I mean, pay so little for....
OR

C. Man up and learn how to do the work yourself.

The way to get the job done cheap is to educate yourself, and then do it yourself. Not convince others to do it at sub standard pay.
gp_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #6

tommy potatoes are you a GC or a homeowner?If your a homeowner the electrician is not really your sub.If your a GC this is not the right place to ask this question
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
elect, contractor

possible reasons he is not showing
he made a mistake and realizes after his expences he is either making nothing or so little he would be better off flipping burgers.
he has other higher paying work and values his time that he has free for other things.
he is not really an electrical contractor, or an actual business (which I would probly guess)
If there is enough in the job that he is making something (better than minimum wage) and its a fact that he is not busy, then he is probley lazy or one of many other things and you should call someone else, you might have to actually pay the going rates though, and if the job has been started, it may be a little costly for you as the next guy has to figure out what was done and make sure its done right as his name is going to be on that other guys work.

Myself I have had quite a few offers for "special deals" over the years, typically some cheap skate who thinks my time is only worth 10 or 15 dollars an hour. and they'll try to work some kind of "special deal" and its made to sound like they are doing me a favour, and most of these guys are not poor by any means just cheap. I tell them to go find some kid in a highschool electrical class and get him to do it, then he can call me after for $60 an hour to fix all the problems (cash upfront)
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
The Post:

Hmmm, let me guess....the "deal":...Yes, that bargain-basement "Deal"....you have with this guy is .....the issue. You aren't real eager to do the intelligent & Logical thing....and call someone else (another Electrician), because "someone else" won't give you the same "great" (rock-bottom) price, as the no-show, invisible guy...

.....Pay the lowest amount, and you will get the lowest service, or, in this case, "No" service. -at all.

OR

Well written Atlantic. My thoughts exactly. deals almost never work out, BOB
with a user name like Tommy potatoes And you saying you have this deal worked out maybe this guy is afraid to call you back because he thinks your a Mob guy???

Last edited by buletbob; 01-20-2009 at 05:01 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
The Post:

Hmmm, let me guess....the "deal":...Yes, that bargain-basement "Deal"....you have with this guy is .....the issue. You aren't real eager to do the intelligent & Logical thing....and call someone else (another Electrician), because "someone else" won't give you the same "great" (rock-bottom) price, as the no-show, invisible guy...

OR

You make a lot of assumptions, don't you?
tommy potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #10

Probably. So, explain your situation better so people can understand what is going on. You've asked an incredibly general question and that leaves us with nothing but assumptions.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

The heading of the post is "what to do with a sub who won't show"?

Answer..... "get someone else" No assumptions needed.

How on earth do you expect a forum to tell you how to get a electrician to show up on your job.

You are just complaining ......period. I hate complainers. Generally speaking the guy is a dead beat if the job pays decent for what is being done.

You need someone to tell you that???

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote