DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What are the dangers?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  josall 
#1 ·
What's wrong with this picture (and why)? When the power goes out and I fire up my 8000 watt generator and plug it into a 30 amp receptical that goes to the main panel for temporary power?

#2 ·
if you don't open(turn off)main greaker,you will put voltage back out on the line.since your power to your house is from a step down transformer,say from 13000 volts,you will send gen power back to transformer.when that happems you will put the 13000 volts back on the line.and maybe kill the lineman working on the line.

#5 · (Edited)
Your "suicide cord" would be a major danger if someone unplugs it (accidentally or otherwise), since the prongs would be live. The bigger issue, as others said, is that you would be placing linemen and the general public in danger by backfeeding the utility transformer. This is what you get on the high voltage side of a utility transformer when you backfeed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTF7DmIuX8M&feature=related

Because it is both illegal and stupid to connect a generator as you describe, you could be charged with manslaughter (potentially even murder, depending on the jurisdiction) if someone were killed as a result. You would also be civilly liable for any injuries or damages that result.

Just get an interlock.

Reactions: SD515
#6 ·
Your "suicide cord" would be a major danger if someone unplugs it (accidentally or otherwise), since the prongs would be live. The bigger issue, as others said, is that you would be placing linemen and the general public in danger by backfeeding the utility transformer. This is what you get on the high voltage side of a utility transformer when you backfeed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTF7DmIuX8M&feature=related

Because it is both illegal and stupid to connect a generator as you describe, you could be charged with manslaughter (potentially even murder, depending on the jurisdiction) if someone were killed as a result. You would also be civilly liable for any injuries of damages that result.

Just get an interlock.
I totally agree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.