Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

What is consider a "NIC" in wiring?

Hello.

I'm installing new wire/electrical outlets and I have read if the wires have a "NIC" in them to cut them off and re-strip them. Well, when I use my wire stripper it makes a little mark on the copper. My question is what is considered a "NIC"? I'm using #12 wire FYI.

Matt

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
Hello.

I'm installing new wire/electrical outlets and I have read if the wires have a "NIC" in them to cut them off and re-strip them. Well, when I use my wire stripper it makes a little mark on the copper. My question is what is considered a "NIC"? I'm using #12 wire FYI.

Matt
Any mark on the copper creates a potential weak spot. Are you using the correct slot on your wire stripper? You aren't rolling the stripper around the wire are you? A proper wire stripper, used correctly, will not make any mark on the copper.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #3

I think I f'd up. I'm using #12 20AMP wire. So I assumed that if I use the 12 on my tool that was correct, WRONG. When I use 12 it makes a ring around the copper, not supper deep or anything but a NIC. So I tried using 10 and it seems to work better.

This is my tool I'm using.
http://flemingds.com/uploads/tool.jpg

This is the wire after using the "proper" 10 setting on the tool.
http://flemingds.com/uploads/wire.jpg

This is pic doesn't have the NIC ring but it has a nic all the way down.
http://flemingds.com/uploads/nic.jpg

Can this cause a fire?

Matt
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 512

I would be hesitant to say it would cause a fire, but someway somehow in some stange it way it very well could. If it did break it would fall off the plug and probably ground to the box but then you will probably notice a problem before that.

If i ever nik my wires and notice i will bend the wire back and forth a few times at the nik to see if it will break. If after a few bends back and forth and it doesn't break or start to break i feel confortable useing it.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #5

Your wire strippers look like a cheap knockoff of the Ideal Stripmaster. Perhaps they're not as well-made as the real thing. This type of tool is more suited to assembly work at a bench. For wiring installation, T-Strippers are more practical and cheaper.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #6

I bought my wire strippers from HD for $30. They were the best/most expensive ones I could find there at the time so I figured they were the best for HD standards. Should I buy the Ideal Strippers or just get the Ideal T-Strippers? I like mine because it has a cable length stop so my exposed copper is the same every time without thinking.

The NICs to me look more like scratches. To be save I'll redo all 10 of my outlets again and use the #10 on my wire strippers or buy the Ideal strippers.

Matt
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

That's probably for stranded wire. Stranded wire and solid wire have different strippers. Most strippers say on them for solid or stranded. There is a slight difference from 12ga strand and 12 gauge solid. Some manufactures color code the handle to tell the difference, Like red handle would be stranded and yellow would be solid. Then there is the multi stripper that does stranded and solid but if you notice it will say this side stranded or this side solid and so the same hole for 10ga solid will be for 12ga strand and 12ga solid will also be for 14ga strand and so on.

Last edited by James Con; 05-02-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: More info
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
If i ever nik my wires and notice i will bend the wire back and forth a few times at the nik to see if it will break. If after a few bends back and forth and it doesn't break or start to break i feel confortable useing it.
Naaa, you're kidding right? You are stressing the heck out of the wire by bending it back and forth and making it super weak. Add some heat and you have a problem waiting for a chance to happen. Ask your JW about this.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
I think I f'd up. I'm using #12 20AMP wire. So I assumed that if I use the 12 on my tool that was correct, WRONG. When I use 12 it makes a ring around the copper, not supper deep or anything but a NIC. So I tried using 10 and it seems to work better.

This is my tool I'm using.
http://flemingds.com/uploads/tool.jpg

Can this cause a fire?

Matt
Those are really more for assembly type work and with stranded wire. I have a pair in the basement which are brand new. Someone gave them to me for Christmas 20 some years ago. But if they work for you on the 10 slot, then go ahead and use them that way.

A small ring that doesn't actually cut the copper will probably be fine. But a weak spot can cause a break, and that can cause arcs and sparks, and that can cause a fire in the box. As wires carry current, they heat up. That heating causes them to move just a bit. That movement can cause them to break at a weak point. Will they? Who knows? The secret would be in the extent of the nick.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #10

Should I buy the Ideal Strippers that are like my current ones or buy the Ideal T-Strippers?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Should I buy the Ideal Strippers that are like my current ones or buy the Ideal T-Strippers?
If the 10 slot works good for you, I would just go ahead and use that. If you plan on becoming an electrician check these out.

http://www.kleinconnection.com/webap...-Stranded-Wire

Don't let the stranded wire words throw you. These are for everything, depending on what you want to do.