DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What are the circuits INSIDE of a wall receptacle?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  darsunt 
#1 ·
I'm looking at the diagram of how to wire up a wall receptacle in middle of the run and end of run. While the pattern is easy to remember, I can't figure out from this info the paths of the current inside of the receptacle.

Does anyone know how the electricty flows inside of a receptacle? Or can point me to a resource? I've done a couple of searches on google and can't come up with anything.

#3 ·
It flows through the receptacle when you have something plugged in and it's "consuming" it. When the receptacle is just sitting there, it's not "flowing".

When receptacles are daisy chained, the screws on the receptacles are just making a connection to the receptacle and continuing it on to the next unless it's the end of the line.

#4 ·
I mean the circuit.

In middle of the run receptacle, the diagram shows both black wires going into the brass and both white wires going to the silver terminals. So my assumption would be the circuit goes through the black wire, thru both sockets to supply power, and out the other black wire to the rest of the run. Then the circuit comes back through the white wires and the silver terminals to complete the circuit.

However, end of the run diagram has the black wire going to the 'top' brass terminal, and the white wire connecting to the 'bottom' silver terminal, which seems like the circuit goes through the sockets to supply power, then connects directly to the bottom silver terminal to go back and complete the circuit. But this contradicts the assumptions I made about the middle of the run receptacle connection, where the brass and silver terminals never connect inside of the receptacle.

Hope this explains what I mean.

#6 ·
"Clearing up" misconception about Electricity!

As IP277 & other posters explained. There is no electricity flowing [in the circuit] when nothing is plugged in. You can have the thickest wire, with a capacity of 400 Amps. and if no appliance or machine is connected (or plugged in), there will be ZERO current flow.! (Now more than ever) :yes::no:(IMO the YES and the NO smilies are the ultimate symbol of confusion):drink:Don't Drink and Drive!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.