Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...

These are photos from an investment property I want to purchase and rehab. Not too experienced (beyond swapping receptacles/switches/wiring cans) with electrical. What can you guys tell me about the electrical aspects of what we're looking at in these pics? Thanks much. Of course I will have it all inspected, but trying just to learn what I can at this stage. What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...-3_12-168.jpg

What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...-3_12-183.jpg

What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...-3_12-184.jpg

What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...-3_12-185.jpg

What Can You Guys Tell Me About These Pics...-3_12-188.jpg

FYI: This is the basement of a 2 level (2 family house), built in 1903.

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Typical looking before a service upgrade.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Typical looking before a service upgrade.
Thanks for the reply . What sort of ballpark range am I looking at in costs to do a service upgrade on what you see here, and is this something you would say appears to be needed, or just at some point in the next several years, etc.?
99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

hard to see, but it looks like the first floor panel has a few open spaces (no breakers/missing knock-outs). thats a no-no

this is a rather sloppy job, best to have a physical inspection by a licensed pro
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

I can see that you have mixed bag of MC / BX / Romex cable in there so really techally wise the best answer is have a electrician check out the system espcally with old style BX cable that part useally is the worst if not bonded properly ( properly grounded )

The ball park figure that something I can not tell in here due there is too many variation of cost. Only way you can get the actual price is you have couple EC ( Electrical Contractor ) come out and give you the estame to see how much it will cost to fix it up.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #6

Marc has the right answer above. I've seen worse in duplexes like this, but it will be imperative for you to limit your liabilities when it comes to renters. I have had properties like this (and sold them all to eliminate the constant headaches). Today's litigious society and ambulance chaser mentality would jump all over that installation if something happened, like a fire or some snot faced kid's electrocution.

Without knowing where you live, and with only three or so pictures, it is nearly impossible to estimate the work involved to bring it up to snuff. I hope you have a trustworthy electrician for the inspection; one who understands rental properties.

Good luck.

al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al_smelter For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (03-21-2013)

Tags
electrical, electrical panel