Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

what is this, and can I just patch over it?

There's this solid outlet faceplate in my kitchen, so I opened it expecting another botched speaker wire outlet (they made lots of these lol!) and instead saw electrical wiring. Got some questions here...

1) Since this isn't a needed opening, can I just spackle over it and close it off? <I'm guessing no, I imagine this connection should've been made above the ceiling so it could be accessed and that I'll need to leave access to be code compliant and all >

2) If I can't close it off, any suggestions on what to do with it? I was thinking just make an outlet there, but there's already one like 1ft away on the wall, so that's just pointless. I could always put a blank faceplate back up, but that just looks so... I dunno, it just looks to me like something that was done wrong and patched with a plate instead of spackle lol!
Attached Thumbnails
what is this, and can I just patch over it?-random-wires.jpg  
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #2

(in case that pic isn't clear enough, there's 1 thick romex coming into the box and 2 leaving it on the other side of the box, seems just like a junction or whatever it's called in electrical stuff, but I don't see why it'd need a hole in the wall )
Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Electrician

Why it is there no one may never know but that looks like a junction box. if the wires are live and feeding additional plugs or switches you can not cover it up. You will have to leave that opening accesible.
darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #4

That's what I figured, guess I was hoping I'd be wrong lol!!!! DAMNIT! Why would they make a junction there? Is there any valid reasons to not do that in the attic? A lot of the wiring seems like it was done by someone who didn't have a clue (as witnessed by someone else who doesn't have a clue . But honestly, when I'm trying to swap out power outlets, switches, etc, I go to turn off a fuse, and 1 fuse will be connecting things that just don't make sense, like 2 outlets in my bedroom are on the same fuse as the light above the garage, the rest of the garage is on 2 or 3 different ones depending which outlet! Add to that that I've seen scorch marks on some of the power outlets' <that were installed upside down!> screw terminals, and I think in my amateur-ness I can spot another amateur!)
Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Since it appears to be an older house, it would make sense to split the house in separate segments. My house had originally 4 fuses, and from there the house was split into four sections. As for the wall plate, you can get a flat plate and try to blend it into the existing wall, but make sure that it can be easily found if needed to fix a problem on that circuit.

As for the scorch marks, that is usually signs of circuit overload.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Home Improvement Guy

Get a nicer coverplate for it, a custom one with a picture of a Harley or skull and crossbones...cooool
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #7

What's on the other side of the wall? You could cut in a new old work box on the opposite wall and move the wires to the new box with a cover. Then this hole can be covered over.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Joeyboy: Never ASS/U/ME. a guess why, maybe there was an outlet there originally, removed it and walla a junction box. Outlets "upside down a shure sign of an amateur" Oh No I normally install them that way for SAFETY.
When a plug is in an outler and NOT fully seated an object can fall and BRIDGE BOTH CONTACTS causing a short,trip breaker and god forbid maybe a fire. Placing an outlet UPSIDE DOWN causes a falling object to hit the GROUND first and knocking that object AWAY FROM THE PLUG NOT CAUSING A TRIP and way less likely a fire..
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I like Joes idea if it works. Being the inquisitive type I would kinda like to investigate a tad as to what gives. I'm thinking someone had a receptacle there and didn't want it at that location but who knows? I would guess that someone is just passing power on from an unwanted location to the other wanted location. Maybe that close by receptacle is the new location?

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Custom Cabinet Maker

Stubbie: that darn JOE stole OUR idea
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
What's on the other side of the wall? You could cut in a new old work box on the opposite wall and move the wires to the new box with a cover. Then this hole can be covered over.
hmmm, I think there's a power outlet on the other side of that wall in the office, but will double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Joeyboy: Never ASS/U/ME. a guess why, maybe there was an outlet there originally, removed it and walla a junction box. Outlets "upside down a shure sign of an amateur" Oh No I normally install them that way for SAFETY.
When a plug is in an outler and NOT fully seated an object can fall and BRIDGE BOTH CONTACTS causing a short,trip breaker and god forbid maybe a fire. Placing an outlet UPSIDE DOWN causes a falling object to hit the GROUND first and knocking that object AWAY FROM THE PLUG NOT CAUSING A TRIP and way less likely a fire..
Aha! I see, but then wouldn't you put them all that way? I hadn't thought of the fire / shock aspect, but what I did know is that someone put in a bunch one way, and a bunch the other way. All I could figure is that either they:
- weren't paying much attention and things just got screwed into boxes based on the easiest way to bend the wires into the box
- someone wanted them that way for a reason (I was thinking maybe pesonal taste or something...), but if that was the case, I figured they'd swap them all that way, kinda weird to have only some upside down!

(edit - after posting I was noticing some of my bedroom outlets are still upside down, but then I noticed that the majority of stuff I have plugged into these outlets are *not* even grounded so it wouldn't matter. Lamps, fans, etc, the only things with grounds in my bedroom are my PC/home theater. When you do them upside down, do you swap a whole house over, or just whatever you worked on? Doesn't the uniformity issue bother you if you don't have them all the same?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I like Joes idea if it works. Being the inquisitive type I would kinda like to investigate a tad as to what gives. I'm thinking someone had a receptacle there and didn't want it at that location but who knows? I would guess that someone is just passing power on from an unwanted location to the other wanted location. Maybe that close by receptacle is the new location?

Stubbie
I don't think it is as the 2 romex it splits to both seem to go upwards and the other outlet is literally 1 foot away, although I didn't try to trace the wires much at all so it could just go up a few inches and through/behind the beam to that outlet.

Last edited by joeyboy; 09-24-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Electrician philosopher

[quote=skymaster;6443Outlets "upside down a shure sign of an amateur" Oh No I normally install them that way for SAFETY.
When a plug is in an outler and NOT fully seated an object can fall and BRIDGE BOTH CONTACTS causing a short,trip breaker and god forbid maybe a fire. Placing an outlet UPSIDE DOWN causes a falling object to hit the GROUND first and knocking that object AWAY FROM THE PLUG NOT CAUSING A TRIP and way less likely a fire..[/quote]

Boy,that sounds good in theory...In many years in this trade I've yet to see proof of this. I've installed quadrillions?!? ground down and trillions?!? ground up, whatever the customer or specs call for.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #13

what kind of specs would call for upside down? Just curious
Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #14

Ground up or down is a never ending debate. The only thing that is common practice but not code, is to put switched receptacles upside down compared the others in the house.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #15

how 'common practice' is that? I hate having some one way, some another way, just looks weird to me. I know you'll say do whatever you like best, but I'm redoing most of the outlets in the house, and I'm young and highly doubt I'll stay here for more than a couple years, so I don't want to go against a strong common practice when doing things like this...

(btw, in my house like I said some are upside down and some aren't, but the switching thing isn't a factor, or teh only factor, because I have 2 outlets on the same switch, one's upside down the other isn't.. ahh!!!!)