Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

What is this called? (Overhead Power to Detached Garage)

First post here, just bought a home and have very little idea what I'm doing, or what pretty much anything is called... please give me a little grace.

Here is my situation. I have a detached garage with the power wires running overhead (around 10' run). Currently they are attached with three little ceramic loops that screw into the side board of my garage. Problem is I want to install rain gutters so I'd like to move them. I installed a Flashing and pipe in the roof to relocate everything so it's removed from the wood, and that seems to be fine. However, I cannot seem to find what I need to attach the power wires (in a code friendly way) to the pipe I have coming out of the roof... All the ceramic loop thingys that I talked about have a screw end, so they are made to go into wood.

I talked to a gentleman at HomeDepot who seemed to believe they made something that was like an 8" bar, with these ceramic loop extenders bolted on, but for the life of me I cannot find anything online. anyone know the name of what I'm looking for?

Any other thoughts I should be aware of?

Thanks!

kronic24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

Where do you live?

Can you take some pictures?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Pictures of what you have would be great.

Have you considered just having an electrician do this? This sounds like a quick job, it shouldn't cost too much.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #4

Ok, I live in LA County, CA. (Van Nuys, CA)

I'll try and get some pictures up soon. But in the mean time I drew this crappy drawing to illustrate what I mean.

• Using an entrance cap similar to this.
  • Couldn't find a good example of the insulated ties, but they currently look something like this.
I might consider an electrician, I just like to learn, and if I paid someone to do everything (especially easy things) than I'd never learn anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronic24601; 08-11-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Update:
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
fabrk8r

He needs to have the weatherhead extended.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
fabrk8r

Or are you just looking for insulators?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Electrician

Real pictures of each side will help. Currently I am not understanding what you have and what you are looking to change it to.

I agree that it's nice to do things yourself. But some things just make sense to have someone else do it. Sometimes you learn best by watching someone else the first time.

The only reason I recommend an electrician is because it would be quick and easy for him so it wouldn't cost you too much. It would also ensure that it is done correctly and be warrantied. An overhead line could be dangerous if not installed correctly.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

I'm looking for the part that will tie the wires from the house to this pole. I was told they need to be a certain distance apart from each other, and that there was "something" (trying to figure out the name) specific that I could use (a bar similar to what I drew) that would provide the 3 insulated posts to I can go up into my entrance cap.

HD sells wood screw posts only and I didn't want to stick a block of wood up there for obvious reasons.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronic24601 View Post
I'm looking for the part that will tie the wires from the house to this pole. I was told they need to be a certain distance apart from each other, and that there was "something" (trying to figure out the name) specific that I could use (a bar similar to what I drew) that would provide the 3 insulated posts to I can go up into my entrance cap.

HD sells wood screw posts only and I didn't want to stick a block of wood up there for obvious reasons.
Who told you that they need to be a certain distance apart? The wires are separated the entire run across the yard?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Real Pictures would probably help

But yes there are three separate wires running overhead from the House to the Garage. I thought about going under ground, but there is brick and concrete covering everything so that would not be easy.

..........|-0-----------------0-|
Garage |-0-----------------0-| House
..........|-0-----------------0-|

Oh, and the HomeDepot Employee told me they needed to be a distance apart ... obviously the fact that I'm taking advice from a HD employee says alot about what I know ...

Last edited by kronic24601; 08-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Electrician

Ok, so I understand what you are saying, but the situation is still a bit of a mystery.

Are the 3 conductors uninsulated? I've never see an instance like this which required the conductors to be separated for a garage feeder.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #12

The wires have insulation, but it's not like they are very thick. If memory recalls the wires looked like maybe 14 gauge? Insulation was minimal, and as expected cracking here and there. Currently, each wire is about 3 inches apart from one another.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,036

In the old days, the conductors were hung separated as shown. Nowadays a bare steel combination ground and guy (ground and guy and neutral for service entrances) has the (insulated) hot conductors gently spiral wrapped around it.

Today you need four conductors for 120/240 volt feeds, two hots and neutral on the insulated loops as shown and a ground wire which can be hung below.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronic24601 View Post
The wires have insulation, but it's not like they are very thick. If memory recalls the wires looked like maybe 14 gauge? Insulation was minimal, and as expected cracking here and there. Currently, each wire is about 3 inches apart from one another.
OK, I see. Since you don't have a carrier the wires are just run over separately.

I did a bit of searching and can't find what you need. What you can do is make up something using a piece of Uni-strut (Versa-Bar). You can attach the Uni-strut to the mast with a pipe strap and then attach each insulator to the Uni-Strut individually. This will give the all metal look.

I would also think about completely removing this cable and installing a proper overhead line. This would allow you to size the conductors for future upgrades.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #15

What would be a proper overhead line if you don't mind me asking ?

I was kind of hoping I could just merge them into 1 cable, something a bit cleaner, but wasn't sure what to do.