DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What brands should I avoid in selecting housings for recessed lights

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 ·
I am installing recessed lights and I need to get remodel IC type housings. There are so many brands to choose from and I wanted to know if there any I should stay away from or which are recommended. I've seen other forums where a brand offered by one of the retailers was not recommended by forum members but no reason was given why.

#2 ·
I like Juno.

Why?

It's what I'm used to. It's what the boss buys! :laughing:

(OK, I do think they are easy to work with, with a good selection of trims)

#3 ·
I like Halo and Lightolier.

Many of the major brands are very similar in design, construction and quality. Pick one your local guys carry.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances use Emerald brand from the home centers. Commercial Electric is also junk.

#5 ·
I personally think Lightolier is very nice stuff. I became a fan of theirs because they have great baffle/trim units that hold the bulb at the exact height and centered in the baffle, instead of the light socket sticking out on some crappy piece of sheet metal like most cans. Halo has now come out with a similiar one piece baffle/trim and we have used them without any problems. They are also a few dollars cheaper than Lightolier and available readily at the big boxes. Definately stay away from the Commercial Electric junk you will see at the big box. When you are selecting cans, be sure to understand what trim options will fit what rough in can, not all trims fit all cans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.