DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   What is this attached to my breaker panel? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/what-attached-my-breaker-panel-117510/)

inkognito 09-17-2011 01:25 PM

What is this attached to my breaker panel?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm rewiring my basement and looking at my breaker panel I noticed a couple of my breakers are double tapped.

One of the double tapped breakers has a refrigerator and a mystery box (see attached) connected to it.

I'm not able to figure out what this box controls by turning the breaker off.

Does anybody know what this mystery box attached to my breaker panel is?
It's got two tiny wires attached with two screws to the left side of it.

clashley 09-17-2011 01:29 PM

It appears to be a low-voltage transformer, perhaps for a doorbell system?

inkognito 09-17-2011 01:36 PM

Of course - that's it!

gregzoll 09-17-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkognito
I'm rewiring my basement and looking at my breaker panel I noticed a couple of my breakers are double tapped.

One of the double tapped breakers has a refrigerator and a mystery box (see attached) connected to it.

I'm not able to figure out what this box controls by turning the breaker off.

Does anybody know what this mystery box attached to my breaker panel is?
It's got two tiny wires attached with two screws to the left side of it.

What brand of panel? Sqaure D allows for double tap on one specific model panel.

Code05 09-17-2011 05:34 PM

I wanna know where you got the hot pink romex?:jester:

Master of Cold 09-17-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code05
I wanna know where you got the hot pink romex?:jester:

San Fransisco?

frenchelectrican 09-17-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code05 (Post 730220)
I wanna know where you got the hot pink romex?:jester:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Cold (Post 730394)
San Fransisco?

Both of you are close on the answer mais { But } the OP is from Canada and the pink/red NM cable is actually a 240 volt rated cable which it will not have any netural { white conductor } in there.

That typically used on baseboard heater or some case water heater.

Merci,
Marc

a7ecorsair 09-18-2011 09:30 AM

I wonder why it isn't seen in the US...
It sure would be nice for 240 volt work. I had to do a lot of white-wire-taping when I did all my baseboards and thermostats.

rjniles 09-18-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a7ecorsair (Post 730579)
I wonder why it isn't seen in the US...
It sure would be nice for 240 volt work. I had to do a lot of white-wire-taping when I did all my baseboards and thermostats.

It is not required by code here like it is in Canada so no supplier wants to go the expense of stocking it.

And the day you wanted to reuse that cicuit for 120, you would not like it so much:furious:

joed 09-18-2011 07:19 PM

It's not required by code in Canada either. We can tape the white wire.
It's called Heatex.

http://www.nexans.ca/eservice/Canada..._90_C.html#top

http://www.nexans.ca/Canada/2009/NMD90HEATEX.jpeg

inkognito 09-18-2011 10:43 PM

In such a boring field as electrical work (except for the imminent danger of death) needs a bit of "spark" like a hot pink cables would bring - it is indeed red (thanks crappy digital camera).

Would you look at that, another electrical pun joke - shocking... oops there I go again - just can't seem to switch it off. Damn.

Edit: FYI: The hot pink is for the A/C.

kbsparky 09-18-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 730582)
It is not required by code here like it is in Canada so no supplier wants to go the expense of stocking it....

99.9% of all circuits I have ever installed using 10-2 romex was for 240 Volt loads. The suppliers here should be stocking black/red conductor romex instead of the black/white stuf ....

Same goes for the 8/2 and 6/2 wire ....

Master of Cold 09-18-2011 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I work on a/c units. We have all sorts of pretty colors

Dieselman959 09-18-2011 11:26 PM

Hey that looks like a York RTU, right?

Master of Cold 09-18-2011 11:27 PM

Its a Trane..it was hard to stop.
Apparently it was hard to start too


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved