Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whar size breaker to use for HVAC

I'm installing a central air unit in my home and also trying to finish my basement. My breaker box is a 200 amp service. I have 4 open slots left in my box.

The HVAC blower unit has to built in breakers. One is a 35 amp breaker for the High efficiency motor / low setting heat coil and also a 50 amp breaker for the high setting coil.

The main breaker box is in the garage. I would like to be able to put (2) sub panel boxes in the basement. 1 sub box to run the outdoor compressor and air handler in the basement for the HVAC unit and a second sub box to run ,I figured is 4 breakers, for what I need in the basement.

Can this be done.

If not I'm assuming that I'd have to wire the compressor right to the main breaker box and put the sub box in the basement and wire the blower unit and outlets for the basement off the sub box.

Opinions????????

Scooby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby333 View Post
I'm installing a central air unit in my home and also trying to finish my basement. My breaker box is a 200 amp service. I have 4 open slots left in my box.

The HVAC blower unit has to built in breakers. One is a 35 amp breaker for the High efficiency motor / low setting heat coil and also a 50 amp breaker for the high setting coil.

The main breaker box is in the garage. I would like to be able to put (2) sub panel boxes in the basement. 1 sub box to run the outdoor compressor and air handler in the basement for the HVAC unit and a second sub box to run ,I figured is 4 breakers, for what I need in the basement.

Can this be done.

If not I'm assuming that I'd have to wire the compressor right to the main breaker box and put the sub box in the basement and wire the blower unit and outlets for the basement off the sub box.

Opinions????????
You can install two sub-panels, i'm assuming you want two panels because of the locations? either way, not an issue....

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

What does the sticker on the units state as Max Breaker size, or the manufacturer state, if you can no longer read the sticker on the outside unit? If the hvac system has already been hooked up properly from the beginning with the proper breaker sized for both the outside and indoor units, what are you worrying about?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What does the sticker on the units state as Max Breaker size, or the manufacturer state, if you can no longer read the sticker on the outside unit? If the hvac system has already been hooked up properly from the beginning with the proper breaker sized for both the outside and indoor units, what are you worrying about?
Did you read the OP's first sentence? He is INSTALLING a AC unit.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Did you read the OP's first sentence? He is INSTALLING a AC unit.
He also stated that the blower unit has 2 breakers install.
One a 35 amp and another 50 amp.
He has heating coils.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
He also stated that the blower unit has 2 breakers install.
One a 35 amp and another 50 amp.
He has heating coils.
Again, the info is going to be on the plate on the units, for both the furnace and a/c or heat pump. If the hvac tech or electrician doing the work cannot figure that info out, then they need to find a different hvac guy or electrician, that can do the job.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

The blower unit and the compressor are new units.

Blower unit model AHE60D3XH21A
Compressor Model YHJF48S41S1A

York 5 ton unit with heat pump

Blower unit has heat coil.

The heat coil unit has the breakers that has a pin connector to plug the blower unit into. If I wasn't using the heater coil the blower unit would not have any breakers.

The tag on the outside of the blower unit does have a list of about 10 different model numbers and what the amp rating is for each unit but none of the model numbers on the decal match my unit.

The blower unit will be wired to a sub box so again my question is what size breaker in the sub box should I use. Do I match the same size breakers that are on the heat coil (the 35 and 50 amp)
Scooby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

So, what does it state on the plate for the outdoor unit? You really are placing too much thought into this. If the units are going to be installed at the house, and the main panel is in the house, and easy to pull the wiring for the outdoor and indoor units, if they never were ever installed, your hvac installer or electrician will know what to do.

Let them deal with this project, all you have to worry about is writing the check, at the end, once the work is done and over with.